Chinese-Forums

Want to know where to study? Read this.

roddy

Good idea to refine the process.

What else?

Time considerations: How long do you plan to study? A couple weeks or a whole year? Must it be during a specific part of the year such as summer vacation?

Learning style?

[i'm thinking preferring a more "traditional" textbook program that focuses on all four skills, versus focusing more on just conversation skills.]

Importance of being in an area with more standard Mandarin spoken?

Maybe it's just me, but this concern seems way overblown to me.

• 2 weeks later...
What kind of accommodation do you want?

University dorms are often easiest, but not good value for money. Apartments are better value, but can be tricky for short-term stays, and the apartment-hunting process can be intimidating in a new city with no language skills. Homestays can be hard to arrange and often don't work out.

Include suggestions / thoughts on accommodations that involve living with Chinese roommates? Is this possible?

added:

If you'd like to share an apartment with Chinese people, you may prefer to look for young professionals rather than students - Chinese students are likely living in more cramped conditions than you are hoping for.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great template, so shouldn't the topic be a sticky? I don't think it will get enough replies to be bumped, and most people like me don't really use search.

Edit: Never mind, just re read it and saw the sticky plan.

• 3 months later...

Ok, pasted the latest updated version into the first post and made it a sticky. Ultimately I'd like (stop laughing, sometimes I actually follow though) to have this as a form people can submit to generate a new topic. Or something.

Further ideas on how to improve it are welcome.

• 8 months later...

These are all good questions that people should ask themself. I see it's been quite a while since the last post, but if you ever decide to update the guide perhaps you could include some examples. I'm considering studying at a university in a second tier city (not SH or BJ) but i'm not sure which I should be considering. If there was a list of recommended second tier cities for language study that would be great. I know you may not actually have that info but maybe just some sort of starter list of cities would help.

• Like 1

You've basically asked "Where can I study in China?", without giving any more information :mrgreen:

As the first post mentioned, once you've had a think about all of the above factors, and done some initial research:

start your own new topic introducing yourself, what you think about all the above points for consideration, and what preliminary conclusions you've reached.

If you do that, you should get a whole bunch of useful (and probably some not so useful) replies :mrgreen:

• 1 year later...

Can we have a general (pros/cons) for each city/place to study? Maybe we can have people who've been to a certain place chip in little bits and pieces and we can have one comprehensive thread, as a general resource.

lakers4sho