Chinese-Forums

Android phone - buy in China?

kante

hey,

does anybody know if you can buy a 3g phone in china and use it without problems in europe? if anybody tried this before or knows someone who did, please tell me about your experiences.

i'd like to buy the lephone here or an htc desire but i've heard that there might be problems in europe with the android marketplace, some people say you can t access it anymore with a phone bought in china.

if you know anything, please tell me ;)

The majority of carriers in Europe use W-CDMA as their 3G standard of choice.

As far as I know, HTC Desire is W-CDMA only and should be a safe bet in this regard. There are three different versions of 乐Phone with different 3G standards - W-CDMA, CDMA and TD-SCDMA (which is not used outside People's Republic of China), so watch out for that. 乐Phone might not support the official Android Market, but there are workarounds for that...

I bought the HTC desire a couple of months ago and am very pleased with it (actually I believe it was the best electronics purchase I ever made!). I got the Hong Kong version (which is cheaper due to tax issues), and had no problem accessing the marketplace in Australia.

hey,

thanks for your reply. did you buy the hongkong version in hk or in can you also buy it in mainland china? if so, could you tell me, where you bought it, if it had any branding, and how much it cost? ;)

did they flash it with a mainland Chinese system or do you have a "fully original" hk phone?

thanks a lot

I bought in on Taobao (which is the mainland alternative to EBay); it was just above 3,000 RMB. It has the Google "branding", and so comes with all their apps such as Maps and Gmail.

I believe they installed a new system - which seems to be made for Asia, as I can choose between Asian languages (even the English option is Singapore, but I haven't found any difference that would make).

Got my HTC Desire in Chengdu 6 months ago for 3600 RMB. I hear it's down to 3000 now. Great phone. My friend was just there, and it had updated versions of the Samsung Captivate and the HTC Desire.

Your phone may be limited in its available languages. If you want a language that isn't available, download the MoreLocale app from the Android Marketplace. (Originally my phone only had European languages and English--I used this app to get a Chinese localization.)