Chinese-Forums

Wang Xiaobo in translation?

roddy

Are there any translations available of Wang Xiaobo’s work? I’m currently reading (and enjoying) a bunch of his essays in Chinese, and had a look round to see if there was anything available in English, but couldn’t spot anything. There’s a French translation of The Golden Age, but that seemed to be all. Searched Google and Amazon.

Thanks

Roddy

Hey Roddy, sorry, I dont know if there is translation of his works. Wangshuo got a couple of his novels translated into English, but I haven't heard anything about Wang Xiaobo's works being translated into English.

He is one of the Chinese writers I like. He's got a good sense of humor and analytic thinking skills (He studied Physics for his undergrad)

It's really sad that he passed away.

What have you read? I guess it's not easy for non-native speakers to read this kind of writings in Chinese. I bet yoy many Chinese highschool students would not be able to understand some of his articles.

I'm reading a bunch of his essays a friend gave me - I can't be sure i understand all the subtleties (hell, it took me five attempts to spell subtleties right, what chance do i have with Chinese) but I can understand enough to enjoy them. I love the satire of them. The ones I've read so far are

"奸近杀" -

《个人尊严》

《青年的思想工作》 - loved the bit where he tries to persuade his nephew to get a decent job and not become a rock and roll star till he's made a bit of money . . . 'Yes, suffering is the source of art: but it doesn't have to be your suffering.'

从Internet说起 - really enjoyed that one.

一只特立独行的猪 - thought this was great too.

Plus a few more I can't remember off hand. I've got 50-odd on my PDA and read through them when I have spare time here and there.

I was thinking that if I can't find English translations I might do them myself - I like working on stuff I am reading anyway, and essays are good as they're too short to get bored of. The knowledge that I probably wouldn't do them justice holds me back though - an entire layer of meaning could easily pass me by. I've translated 一只特立独行的猪 already, but I'm not very happy with it.

It's a sad state of affairs though, if a writer of Wang Xiaobo's stature isn't getting translated and published in English.

Roddy

Dear Roddy,

I feel so glad to see some one who wants to translate Mr. Wang xiaobo's works. Mr. Wang xiaobo is one of my essay hero. I like he essays very much.

It's said that you have translated "一只特立独行的猪". I feel so glad for it and thank you so much for your attention to this great wirter and his works.

By the way, I wonder if you know Mr. Wang xiao bo's wife, Ms. Li yinhe (李银河女士), if you want to translate Mr. Wang's works well, I think maybe you can go and ask Ms. Li for help if possible. Don't worry, Ms. Li got a Doctor. Degree in Cambridge and her English is no problem. As I know, Ms. Li has also published some books about Mr. Wang's works which you can check them in book shops. Ms. Li is working for government in doing some research in homosexuality in China, or so. If you have any friends in publishing field, you can ask them to contact Ms. Li for you. I am sure Ms. Li will feel glad to know some one can translate and publish her husband's works in English.

Thanks so much again, for what you have done, Roddy! :cry::cry::cry:

• 2 weeks later...
Translation of Wang Xiaobo's 一只特立独行的猪. Not sure about the translator though .

What's wrong with the translator? You don't like him (her ?) because he bears the same name? I think it's an excellent piece of work that not many of us can accomplish.

------

Dear studentyoung,

I used to try translating your posts into English to practise my Chinese & I really enjoyed that. Why don't you post in both languages any longer?

Cheers,

Dear HashiriKata,

It seems that you likes Mr. Wang xiaobo's works too. Thanks so much for your appreciation on his works.(看来你也喜欢王小波先生的作品。很感谢你对他的作品的欣赏!)

I sent you a private message just now and I wonder if you have received it? If you haven't received I can send it once again.(我刚刚给了你一个私人信息,不知到你收到了没有?假如没有我可以在发一遍。)

May I ask you a queston HashiriKata? I wonder if you could common on the lyrics I translated. (Please just check my posts in "good phrase". ) I sitll have no idea whether there is something wrong in it?(HashiriKata,我可以问你一个问题吗?不知你可否评论一下我翻译的歌词。请在我的帖子里找“佳句”这个主题。我现在还不知道我译的东西有没有问题?)

Thanks so much again for your appriciation on Mr. Wang xiaobo's works and your translation of my post! It is really my great pleasure!(再次感谢你对王小波先生作品的欣赏及你对我的帖子的翻译!真是深感荣幸!)

Best wishes

Young

Dear studentyoung,

Thank you for going out of your way to type your post in 双语 again :D .

Like reading your posts in Chinese, I read 一只特立独行的猪 only as a way of learning the language. Having seen Roddy's response to my post, I'm so relieved that Roddy didn't shoot me like the political leaders shooting the pig (in the story) for making inappropriate noises! :wink:

I've got your message, thank you. I'll see and do what I can.

Best wishes,

I'm thinking about translating some of his work into English myself. Wang Xiaobo's my favorite Chinese author. He reads a lot like Philip Roth to me, in both language and theme.

I've read "黄金时代" and am reading "未来世界" right now. Since I've got some time on my hand, I think I'll definitely make a stab at "黄金时代". Been wanting to do it since I read a few years ago. Maybe I'll post some chapters as I work on it.

I'm amazed that it hasn't been translated, yet. I'm curious as to why the ubiquitous Howard Goldblatt -- who's translated several by Su Tong and Mo Yan, and even Wang Shuo "Playing for Thrills" -- hasn't done one on this. Wang Xiaobo, to me, is one of China's most innovative writers since Lu Xun. I think his work will have popular appeal in the West, too. I can't think of many who writes about sex and politics as well as he does.

I've found a translation of "Future World" by Kevin McCready, an Austrialian freelance translator, through the MCLC site (Modern Chinese Literature and Culture) http://mclc.osu.edu/rc/bib5.htm

It's not published. The language in the translation is a bit more formal than Wang's, I find.

http://www.geocities.com/kevin_mccready_au/wang.htm

• 2 years later...

Well, a mere three and a bit years later . . .

SUNY Press have an upcoming publication, Wang in Love and Bondage, featuring “The Golden Age,” “East Palace, West Palace,” and “2015”.

Has anyone heard of the translators, Jason Sommer and Hongling Zhang? Neither are known to me, but that doesn't mean much. Have asked for a sample of the translation, but am awaiting a reply. Will post it if I get it.

The title sounds very, very familiar, but just what they borrowed it from eludes me... Wait, maybe 'Of human bondage', or what was it again?

roddy: I haven't heard of those translators either... Well, we'll see how good it is.

• 7 years later...

Nice to see this getting a bump.

A translation of Spiritual Homeland by Eric Abrahamsen is in the works, not sure how close it is to publication. Actually I note now that the grant was made in 2009 and the book isn't on Amazon, so maybe something went wrong.  

Are you reading Wang, Deremefri? How are you finding it?

• 3 years later...