Chinese-Forums

Buying iPad in US - 3G in China?

HedgePig

My wife is thinking of buying an iPad on a forthcoming trip to the US. Are there any pitfalls she should be aware of if she buys an iPad in the US with the intention of using it in China? The US iPads seem to be configured for 3G usage either with AT&T or with Verison. Is there any "problem" in getting 3G to work in China if the iPad is configured with one of the US networks?

You should make sure the device is unlocked meaning you can switch providers at will and aren't tied to one provider. I'm not sure if the iPad is locked or not. Then you should make sure that the iPad is able to use the frequencies that the cell phone providers in China use.

I don't know the answer to the first question since I don't live in the US, but the second question is probably yes.

As long as the device is unlocked, you should have no problem. Just make sure to go with the right network in China as there are GSM and CDMA networks.

You should be able to buy the "AT&T" GSM model iPad 2 at the Apple retail store.You don't actually have to activate a contract with AT&T, as AT&T's plan for the iPad is month-to-month and can be started and terminated at will. You will be able to use a China Mobile or Unicom Micro-SIM card with it.

See this some ambiguous chat with an Apple online representative which essentially says the same thing.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2776190&tstart=0

You: I know I need the GSM ATT model, the question relates to the activation of the AT&T account. I am happy to buy the 64GB 3G iPad2, I just do not need the data plan right away in the US. I will likely need it in the UK, hence the question will the 3GiPad GSM aTT version work without a data plan ( over wifi obviously) and whether I will be able to put a UK micro-SIM from a GSM carrier in it when I work in the UK

Keree B: You wil be able to do this when you travel abroad.

Keree B: Yes, you will,

Keree B: the iPad 2 is not locked to a specific carrier.

A US-bought iPad 3G probably won't work here. As far as I know, 3G data SIMs (SIMS that are used for accesing the internet on an laptop) in China work only with special adapters, in addition to which you have to install special software on your laptop to connect to the 3G network. In addition, normal 3G data SIMs won't fit in an iPad anyway, as the iPad uses micro -SIMS.

As far as I know, 3G data SIMs (SIMS that are used for accesing the internet on an laptop) in China work only with special adapters,

Are you speaking from personal experience?

Both China Unicom and China Mobile provide Micro-SIM cards for use on iPhones and iPads. There are posts on other BBS confirming that the regular SIM cards work on the iPad:

http://www.shanghaiexpat.com/phpbbforum/ipad-3g-service-in-china-t106866.html?sid=a6de86a394451a392d98d9e997a1c13a

Yes it will work, i've been following other iPad forums and it is possible to use a normal sim card that has been cut down to the micro-sim size. Just make sure it is a data sim, so i assume its the same one in the 3G USB modem stuff here.

Edit: Your wife might want to look into buying a non 3G iPad in the US and then buying a mobile hotspot device ("miFi") here. Buying a miFi device, which is the size of a small cell-phone, might be a better option than just buying a 3G SIM card for an iPad, as the miFi device provides internet access for up to 5 devices on the go. China Unicom sells a mi-Fi-like device for ~1200 RMB, which includes 3GB of Internet access per month for 12 months.

A 3G iPad, on the other hand, costs US$130 (~850 RMB) more than a regular iPad, in addition to which you'll have to pay for the 3G data SIM's internet service -- between 700 and 1100 RMB more for 3GB of internet access per month for 12 months, according to the forum gato linked to.

So basically, buying a miFi device would save your wife between 350 and 750 RMB, and provide mobile internet access not only for her iPad, but also for other devices she might want to use on the go, like her laptop and iPhone.

Hope that helps.

Are you speaking from personal experience?

Yes, I am speaking from personal experience. You need a SIM-adapter or miFi device to connect to a 3G network using your laptop.

Both China Unicom and China Mobile provide Micro-SIM cards for use on iPhones and iPads. There are posts on other BBS confirming that the regular SIM cards work on the iPad:

http://www.shanghaie...d98d9e997a1c13a

Yes it will work, i've been following other iPad forums and it is possible to use a normal sim card that has been cut down to the micro-sim size. Just make sure it is a data sim, so i assume its the same one in the 3G USB modem stuff here.

The thread gato has linked to does seem to suggest that China Unicom provides micro-SIMs that have 3G service specifically for, or that otherwise work with, an iPad.

Still, if your wife decides to buy a 3G SIM card instead of a miFi device, I'd suggest that you first call/go to a China Unicom shop to confirm that they do indeed have micro-SIMs that will work with a new iPad 2 3G (which is what I assume you're buying) bought in the US.

• 2 weeks later...