Chinese-Forums

Mobile phone which offers good portability between home country and China

xianhua

So my job will shortly lead me to make 5/6 trips a year to China. Therefore, I'm looking at updating my mobile device with something that can easily cope with being in two countries by using local SIM cards (to avoid excessive roaming fees).

I had been looking at various Blackberry models before discovering that Anki can't be used as an offline application with these (?). I was also led to believe, by the salesperson I spoke to today, that when swtiching and using the phone for data downloads in China (or any other country) this will wipe off all my previous settings, software and apps as if starting the phone for the first time.

Can anyone recommend any devices which they regularly use in both countries and can cope with Chinese script? (I'm not looking at spending as much as the iPhone costs). Thanks.

You need a phone that supports GSM frequencies 900/1800 MHz plus whatever is used in your home country. You also need to make sure it has Chinese font installed, otherwise you won't be able to even read SMS.

Now, if you want to have Anki but don't want iPhone, your only option is to get an Android phone. I personally am very pleased hoe Android works. No problem with swapping SIM cards, all IMEs I need are available. Check out prices to see if those are suitable. Also check reviews of Ankidroid, I personally don't use this application.

• Like 1