Chinese-Forums

Paying for Chinese online purchase (US money)

dreamon

Could anyone please explain how to pay for a gift purchase at a Chinese online shop, when the buyer is located in the U.S.? The buyer has credit cards and a PayPal account. I tried to buy something at 360buy.com, and all went well until I hit the last page with payment options. There are no credit cards, no PayPal, but there are lots of Chinese bank logos arranged in a grid pattern, as well as six Chinese "paypal-like" site logos. The gift is to be shipped within China. Which one of the Chinese "paypals" would you recommend me to enroll in? It is nice if it (a) accepts transfers from PayPal; (b ) is among the top popular in China, offered at most online stores; (c ) is fast to enroll in and foreigner-friendly, e.g. does not require Chinese bank accounts, China-based home address or ID card, phone calls in Chinese etc. Alternatively, can I open an account at a Chinese bank while I'm in the U.S.? Thank you!

If the 支付宝 (alipay) is available, you might be able to pay with international credit card. Alipay is the Chinese equivalent of PayPal, but the vendor has turn on the credit card option because credit card companies charge a fee for each transaction.

fanglu> There are companies that will buy things in your behalf and mail them overseas

The gift is to be shipped within China. I would like a lightweight solution, I'm not a wholesale distributor.

gato> If the 支付宝 (alipay) is available, you might be able to pay with international credit card.

When I try to register with Alipay, they ask me for a Chinese ID or passport number, which I don't have. Is there a "paypal-like" service that does not require me to have a Chinese ID?

Unless you're looking for something very specific, it might be easier to first look for a retailer that does take foreign cards - ie, Amazon.cn, although people have had trouble getting it to work - and trying to buy something from there.

gato> If the 支付宝 (alipay) is available, you might be able to pay with international credit card.

When I try to register with Alipay, they ask me for a Chinese ID or passport number, which I don't have. Is there a "paypal-like" service that does not require me to have a Chinese ID?

No Chinese ID is required for Alipay. Just enter your own passport number. A fake number probably works, too.

roddy> ... it might be easier to first look for a retailer that does take foreign cards - ie, Amazon.cn, although people have had trouble getting it to work

Yesterday I tried to access Amazon.cn, but it just did not want to load, was extremely slow. Maybe today will be better. Is there a list of barbarian-friendly Chinese online shops posted somewhere?

fanglu> ... www.panli.com, I'm pretty sure they ship within China.

OK, thank you for the pointer, I will take a look!

gato> No Chinese ID is required for Alipay. Just enter your own passport number.

They also seem to have the intention of calling me on the phone to verify my identity. Do they call newly registered people? If yes, what if the phone number is not in China?