Chinese-Forums

Question about 带着

郭海翔

I am currently studying while I am on spring break from University, using Reading into a New China, I have run into a "grammar" or other :blink: structure that I am not familiar with. In the first chapter at the end of the first paragraph there is this sentence : “在这一小时内有8240人带着热浪进来,9680人带着汗气出去。” I am unsure of the use of 带着 in this sentence. I think that it indicates cause. I was hoping someone could explain the use more clearly. Please. Also 汗气's meaning i can guess as "sweaty and hot" lol maybe?

EDIT: I also having problems with understanding this sentence: "只见桥上的自行车如蚂蚁大军般南来北往,过桥后又汇入两岸密密的车流中,就像永远也走不完似的。“ The part before the first comma i can understand but after that I am not sure. I think its trying to say "after they cross the bridge they once again converge and enter the two bays which are chocked with the flow of cars [vehicles?]" then after that im so helplessly lost :( .

• Like 1

The first two look like "heat wave" and "cold spell (weather)", respectively, to me. I don't totally get the use of 帶著 here, either. My first thought was "ride", but I don't think 帶 has that as a meaning (and I'm a bit too tired to look it up), and I don't know that "carry" works. Maybe just "bring"? People are bringing/taking heat waves and cold spells with them?

The second sentence I'm understanding the same as you, and then after that "as though it will never cease" or something similar is how I'm understanding it. You may not want to take my word for that, though.

带着热浪 with/bring heat wave,带着 here means take sth,eg:超人身上带着某种能量 The super man with some kind of energy in his body.

汗气 sweat air,here this word is used to describe the sweat due to high heat evaporation into gas

• New Members

Hi, i'd like to add something.

in the sentence“在这一小时内有8240人带着热浪进来,9680人带着汗气出去。”

yes, 带着means to take.

as we know when open the door in a hot day, the hot air comes in as if it is the people coming in brings in the hot wave.

while in the second sentence"只见桥上的自行车如蚂蚁大军般南来北往,过桥后又汇入两岸密密的车流中,就像永远也走不完似的。“ the middle part means when the bicycles get off off the bridge, they return to the road extending at the two ends of the bridge. and there are many vehicles there. it seems as if the flow of the traffic will never end.

i hope this will help you a little.