Chinese-Forums

Complement of Verbs

lockdoc

My big problem in forming sentences is the complement of the verb.

In order to speak proper sentence your verb needs a compliment in order to describe a more specific action of an activity.

So I am going to write down a couple of verbs with their respective english compliments (also sorted by them), then i am trying to translate that into chinese.

As I am really not sure about a lot of those compliments I will probably do some of mistakes. I will do the best I can to avoid errors, but my knowlede is still very limited.

If anybody knows some online reference where i can look up all possible combinations of verb compliments please let me know.

So here are common Verbs I want to use (orderer by the english complement)

Structure

Verb [English sentence] Chinese Sentence Chinese 把 Sentence

Legend

[OK] Verified

[XX] Don't know if it is correct

on:

[XX] to put on       [Please put on your clothes]          请穿上你的衣服    请把你的衣服穿上
[XX] to turn on      [Please turn the computer]            请打开电脑       请把电脑打开
[XX] to turn on      [Please turn the light]               请打开灯         请把灯打开
[XX] to stand on     [i stand on the table]                我站在桌子上
[XX] to lie on       [i lie on the ground]                 我卧在地上
[XX] to land on      [After jumping I land on the ground]  跳以后我在地上落了

off:

[XX] to cut off      [i cut off my hair]                    我剪下我的头发     我把头发剪下
[XX] to take off     [i take off my shoes]                  我脱下我的鞋子     我把我的鞋子脱下
[XX] to rip off      [He rips off the paper from a present] 他刳下他礼物的纸   他把她礼物的纸刳下

out:

[XX] to wash out     [wash out the dirt]                   我洗下秽                            我把秽洗下
[XX] to drink out    [i drink empty my cuo]                我喝完我的被子                       我把我的被子和完
[XX] to hang out     [He hangs his clothes out of the win] 他挂下他的衣服在窗户外                 他把他的衣服在传呼挂下
[XX] to look out     [He looks outside]                    他看到外面
[XX] to take out     [take it out of the box]              从箱子拿东西出来 / 从箱子拿出东西来      把东西从箱子拿出来 / 把东西拿箱子出来 / 把东西拿出箱子来

up:

[XX] to stand up     [Please stand up]                     请站起来
[XX] to jump up      [Jump up]                             跳往上 / 跳向上 / 跳朝上 / 跳到上 / 跳上
[XX] to turn up      [turn up the volume]                  no idea
[XX] to lift up      [lift up your leg]                    no idea
[XX] to move up      [move up this box]                    no idea

back:

[XX] to jump back    [jump back]                           跳往后面 / 跳向后面 / 跳朝后面 / 跳到后面 / 跳后面
[XX] to give back    [give it back to me]                  会给我这个东西                   把这个东西会给我

down:

[XX] to lie down     [lie down on the back]                       卧下上背部
[XX] to shut down    [shut down this computer]                    关闭这台电脑                把这台电脑关闭
[XX] to drop down    [sweat drops down from my face]              汗从我的脸上掉
[XX] to fall down    [i fall down from the tree]                  我摔下了从这个树上
[XX] to jump down    [Attention, I want to jump down]             小心,我要跳(往/想/朝/到)下
[XX] to throw down   [He threw down the bottle]                   他扔下了瓶子                他把瓶子扔下了
[XX] to turn down    [turn down the volume]                       no idea
[XX] to write down   [write down this character]                  写下这个汉字                把这个汉字写下
[XX] to let/move down [The box is too heavy, let's let it down]   这个箱子太重了,让下吧

to:

[XX] to connect to   [Connect this Ipad to your computer]  交接这台iPad跟你的电脑        把ipad交接跟你的电脑
[XX] to add to       [add salt to your soup]               加盐到你的汤                 把你的汤加盐

over:

[XX] to jump over    [Jump over the box]                   跳过这个箱子(去/来) 
[XX] to walk over    [Walk over a bridge]                  走过桥(去/来)
[XX] to fly over     [we are flying over europe]           我们飞过欧洲
[XX] to bring over   [bring this over there]               带过那里去这个东西             把这个东西带过那里去
[XX] to roll over    [roll over your right shoulder]       滚动过你的右肩

into:

[XX] to put it into  [put it into the fridge]              放进冰箱这个东西              把这个东西放进冰箱去
[XX] to throw into   [throw it into the frige]             扔进冰箱这个东西              把这个东西扔进冰箱去

around:

[XX] to turn around [if the key is inside, turn it around] 钥匙在里面的话,转前后
[XX] to turn around [Turn around your head]                回头
[XX] to turn around [Turn around this paper]               转前后这张纸                 把这张纸赚钱后

apart:

[XX] to rip apart   [rip apart the paper from the present] 刳以外礼物的纸               把礼物的纸刳以外
[XX] to pull apart  [pull apart this rope]                 拉以外这个绳索               把这个绳索拉以外
[XX] to take apart  [take apart the chair]                 no idea

away:

[XX] to throw away  [throw away your cigarette]            扔掉你的烟                  把你的烟扔掉
[XX] to wash away   [wash away the dirt]                   洗掉秽                     把秽洗掉
[XX] to go away     [he went away]                         他离开了
[XX] to wipe away   [i wiped away the sweat in my face]    我擦掉我脸上的汗             我把我脸上的汗擦掉

onto:

[XX] to jump onto    [i jump onto a table]                 我跳到桌子上
[XX] to put it onto  [put sth. onto a table]               我放某物到桌子上              我把某物放在桌子上  

not classified:

[XX] to cut short   [cut the hair short]                   剪短头发                         把头发剪短
[XX] to take here   [please take it to here]               请带这个东西过来 / 请带过这个东西来   请把这个东西带过来
[XX] to spea loud   [why do you speak so loud]             no idea

So this is definetely a lot to look at, but considered to the variety of other verbs out there i think it is only a fraction and i want to try to

use the results produced by the verbs above as a pattern to be able to create on the fly compliments for the other verbs. But before this is possible

i need to get a feeling and in order to gain this feeling i will need to hard code those examples into my brain. xD

So if anyone has time and ambition I would like to ask you to help me verify or correct my translations. I am not asking one person to just tell me everything as it would be too much,

but just to slowly starting getting this done. When everything is filled, we can also make this "sticky" for the grammar section as it might be interesting for other beginners as well. I will then always modify this post with the corrected with the corrected/approved sections, so that it shows up at the top.

Feel also free to add other verb+complement combinations and i will put them into this post

(Don't know maybe @admin you can also grant edit writes to this first post - do not know if it is technically possibly)

潘图