Chinese-Forums

What would you study in Hong Kong?

skylee

These sorts of studies aren't usually worth that much except for those universities, or generally alumnae of such, who want to big themselves up a bit. For instance it's all based on how they measure how good a university is relative to others. Eg. If they are basing it on research output in top journals then this would bias towards western universities and probably US universities in general.

But there are some good HK universities mentioned in the study and I wonder if that is based more on the research output of their English staff than anything else.

Sorry I just saw this thread, and maybe I can give my two cents...

I studied in HK and got an MA at HKU, and am currently finishing a second MA, also at HKU (mainly for fun).

The first one was to help advance my career, and to a large extent, it did do that. My intentions were to get a job related to China or international relations, and I was able to achieve that (although, it's important to note that MA's and MBA's often just open new doors, giving you opportunities to make new contacts...etc). So, from that point of view, I was fairly happy with the results of my degree at HKU.

Also, I knew quite a few people who did MBAs at CUHK, and they were largely happy with the results of the program, and many found good jobs. Again, however, it's best to go into these programs with a very pro-active attitude and make the most out of them. (Some people seemed to think that simply getting an MBA would mean that companies would flock to them, and that is not the case, in HK or anywhere for that matter).

Similarly, I've made a few mainlander friends at HKU, and they tend to like HK because it gives them greater freedom, and they quality of the education (in English) beats most comparable mainland programs.

Additionally, the HK gov has a very good visa program (IANG), which enables people graduating with higher degrees to get work visas with very few hassles. Compare this to getting a degree in the mainland where even after graduation, visa issues will continue to be a fairly major issue (although I could be mistaken).

So, my two cents is that HK is not a good place to study in if your primary goals are to learn Putonghua or about contemporary Chinese culture. It is a good place for long-term China expats who have become sick of the mainland system, or who want to further their careers through another degree (often at a relatively cheap price compared to the US).

Additionally, I'd add that it makes sense to get a degree in HK mainly if you plan to work in HK afterwards. (As mentioned, I think that with many post-graduate degrees, part of the attraction is being able to use the contact networks that you can develop in the local area). Also, it's a cliche to say it, but it's true: HK combine many of the best aspects of Chinese culture and Western culture. i'm not particularly enthralled by HK's mainstream pop culture, but there are many things that I do enjoy that I can do in HK (ie. they have a lively running community, lots of Buddhist resource, HK is a good place for "China watching", it's a good travel hub to other parts of Asia...etc).

• Like 3

Additionally, the HK gov has a very good visa program (IANG), which enables people graduating with higher degrees to get work visas with very few hassles.

You keep saying that IANG is for higher degrees. How about, say, mainlanders completing bachelor's degrees here? It seems that the arrangement also applies to full-time local bachelor's degrees, no?

BTW, jbradfor mentioned about sample size. I have started to wonder that the sample size here may be too small.

You keep saying that IANG is for higher degrees. How about, say, mainlanders completing bachelor's degrees here? It seems that the arrangement also applies to full-time local bachelor's degrees, no?

Oh, I guess that could be. Selfishly, I really only checked the regs in terms of how they applied to me. By the way, I've renewed my visa twice on that program (the second application was actually yesterday) and the process is fast and efficient. I would certainly give the HK gov two thumbs up in this area.

I think they're also in the process of taking in a lot of international and mainland talent, and this program, it seems to me, makes a lot of sense.

• 4 months later...

If anyone is interested in studying for a PhD in Hong Kong's publicly-funded universities he/she could consider applying for a fellowship under the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (it seems that the fellowship is worth about HK$750,000 in total over a three-year period, and the participating institutions also offer other scholarship/studentship) ->

http://www.info.gov....01108310167.htm

http://www.ugc.edu.h...hkphd/hkphd.htm

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

just had a chat with the owner / manager of the hotel i am staying in (istanbul). she noted that i was reading a guidebook from the hk public libraries, and said to me guess what happened recently. i asked what. she said that her daughter spent last year in HKU as an exchange student. and i knew what she meant - Tokyo U has taken the top place of a univ ranking chart. she said her daughter has returned to london to finish her degree, and is planning to do a masters at HKU next year. Well HKU is attractive to some turkish students at least.