Chinese-Forums

I'm a graduate student from BFSU and want to teach Chinese a

huanzhou

Hello all

I'm a graduate student from BFSU(Beijing Foreign Studies University), and my major is teaching Chinese as a foreign language.(I'm glad that so many Laowai like BFSU. I like it too) After three years training and teaching, I can say it confidently that I can teach pretty well and that I love teaching Chinese. It's a lot of fun and the most important thing is that you always can learn something from your foreign students(or in my mind, foreign friends). During the teaching and learning, I can feel strongly the conflicts & the confluences of different cultures and thoughts. I love that!

But now, I have a problem. You know, when you are young, going out to see another world is a dream of many people. For me, too. I plan to spend 1 or 2 years teaching Chinese oversea. I've heard that in some schools or universities they need Chinese teachers very much and in some school they even use housewives to teach. So HELP! I need some information about teaching Chinese abroad. Any information will be helpful. Thank you sincerely.

And of course, if anyone of you need my help about Chinese learning, no hesitating!

I've heard that in some schools or universities they need Chinese teachers very much and in some school they even use housewives to teach.

Hi huanzhou,

What you said is true but I'm going to disappoint you with one big difference that you need to know: those housewives you mentioned are already there and you're on the other hand still in another country. As there are many complex issues relating to employing people from another country, employers often end up getting what is available locally, even knowing that they're not getting the best. (A concrete example: if some university here needs someone to teach part-time for just 6 hours a week, what can they do with you, who's still in China?)

I'll therefore tell you what I know: if you want to come to the UK (for example) to teach, just enrole for some graduate course here and when you are already here, look out for openings through newspaper advertisements during your course. If studying abroad is not an option for you or if you don't intend to stay abroad for more than a year or two, try joining some organisation or programme in your country which select & send people abroad for teaching experience or internship. Another possibility is to ask your university if they can help through their exchange schemes with universities abroad. There may also be on the net Chinese websites for matters relating to Teaching Chinese Abroad (Try a search.)

The methods I mentioned above are the limit of what I know. Other people may have better ideas to help you with, but be prepared that there may be no quick way to do what you want to do.

Good luck! (and welcome to the board, by the way.)