Chinese-Forums

Case Studies From Thunderbird

roddy

I came across a set of case studies on various Chinese business issues from Thunderbird business school (why is it called Thunderbird? Great name, for a superhero.).

If you go here and search ‘Case Studies’ for China, you’ll find a few. I found this (pdf) one on the Sheraton groups joint venture quite interesting, and I’ll probably try and make time to read the rest. Certainly look useful for anyone interested in business here.

Does anyone know of any similar resources?

Roddy

why is it called Thunderbird?

The thunderbird is a common symbol in much Native American folklore and Thunderbird (the school of international management) is located in Arizona, ancestral lands of many of the most well-known Native American tribes: Apache, Navajo, Hopi, etc..

I am a graduate of Thunderbird! (Class of 1989)

The school began after World War 2 using an old air base purchased from the US Army. In fact, Thunderbird Airfield was used to train Chinese military pilots during the war.

Today Thunderbird is one of America's leading schools in international business and has a campus in Europe. We also have a sister school relationship with UIBE (University International Business & Economics) in Beijing that involves a summer program that I attended in 1988.

I enjoyed the backgrounder on Kenny Rogers Roasters, a chain which, despite coming from a place where we have both kinds of music on the radio (Country and Western), I had never heard of prior to coming to China. After their spectacular growth and subsequent death spiral back home, I'm guessing there are now more units in China (??) than in the U.S. (6), although the brand seems stagnant here as well. KRR was bought out of bankruptcy by Nathan's Famous, so I wonder if New York-style hot dogs will be among the next wave of fast food to hit the Middle Kingdom.

Here's the recipe for Kenny's corn muffins:

1/2 cup butter

2/3 cup sugar

1/4 cup honey

2 eggs

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

3/4 cup yellow cornmeal

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 cup milk

3/4 cup frozen yellow corn

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Cream together butter, sugar, honey, eggs, and salt in a large bowl.

3. Add flour, cornmeal, and baking powder and blend thoroughly. Add milk while mixing.

4. Add corn to mixture and combine by hand until corn is worked in.

5. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan and fill each cup with batter. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until muffins begin to turn brown on top.

Makes 12 muffins.