Chinese-Forums

F Visa Worries

James Cole

A school that wants to contract me emailed me saying that since I only have my TEFL Certification and not a Bachelor's Degree I will be getting a "F" Visa for my one year contract in China to teach. To be blunt, Is this illegal? I'm not one who's willing to up and leave the States if the possibility of just "getting sent back to them" is realistic.

I really do want to take a year off from college to visit and teach in China, I would just prefer to do legally. Has anyone done this before? Thanks in advance for any replies.

• 4 weeks later...

I dont think working on an F-Visa would really get you into trouble (LOADS of people are doing it here), but you have to be super careful to not state on your application that you are receiving a salary in China. This is illegal and we had a student who's company did that and while it was a big pain to get the F-Visum with several ten thousand RMB fines, the resulting comment on the personal police file later was worse (visa canceled, returned home).