Chinese-Forums

Finding work in China - where do I begin?

maxham

Hi everyone

I studied Mandarin at university and spent two periods living in China (the first time for about 3 months and the second time for a year). It's now about 2 and a half years since I left and I'm planning to return early next year to settle for a couple of years. My plan is to study intensively for a while and then begin to look for work. I have a strong background in administration and have worked in two major international investment banks, an well-known insurance firm and a communications consultancy. I'm now quite interested in moving into something a little more fulfilling to me personally - a charity perhaps, an embassy or an organisation where I can at least see that my efforts are towards something of value (rather than just lining pockets).

I'm just at a bit of a loss as to where to begin. Does anyone know of any useful websites which post jobs? Are there any employment agencies in China? What sort of salary could I expect? (I'm a 30 year old graduate and have been in the workforce for a total of about 8 years). I'm Australian and also speak reasonably fluent Spanish.

Any ideas/tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

• 3 weeks later...

You can always check out the classifieds at www.thatsbeijing.com, which have a high volume of posting. Another method is to determine what you wan to do and who you want to do it for, and e-mail your resume to them. For instance, if you want to do volunteer work, find out some organizations and write them a letter of introduction, even if they don't have a slot you might be recommended to another company/org through them. I've also met some people who first come here for a few months to brush up their language, and build a network, and then find work.

• 3 weeks later...

have you tried ...

http://www.zhaopin.com/

http://career.sohu.com/

I think zhaopin is the best...and it has a wide range of jobs, including very high level ones like NGO stuff that you mention.

Also, there is a decent email list fom xianzai.com that you have to sign up to. Ignore the actual site, just sign up for the email job list. It seems to often have Embassy stuff.

http://www.xianzai.com/

Also, do you have an guanxi from your time there before? You could also build more up whilst studying...

Good luck ^_^

Lining pockets isn't adding value? I think that has a lot of value, monetary value :)

Seriously though, I'm not sure your level of Chinese would be up to the job (any job except english teacher) in a working environment after only a year, especially if you didn't come from a similar language background.

I've done enough pocket lining to date to realise that's not what I want to be doing anymore......maybe it's satisfying for some...not for everyone and definitely not for me!

Thanks for the thoughts about the language level - I can only try!!!!!!