Chinese-Forums

Use of Strangulation 1928 Criminal Code

alanmacfadyen

• New Members

I have been researching 1920/30's China as I wish to include a description of an execution in a novel I am working on. I did not want to use the cliched Death by a Thousand Cuts so began looking at the system. I found a number of postcards showing such events. A number intrigued me in particular. A few appeared to show a woman and a group of men being porepared for strangulation. The postcards dated from the late 1920/early 1930s. This would be after the introduction of the new criminal code. I have included a couple of details from the postcards. They appear to show the process of preparation including the stripping of their upper clothes, the fitting of a head harness to be attached to a stake abd a garotte. I have tried to find the reason for this part of the process which appears to be designed to humiliate the condemned but so far no luck. If I include this I want to be able to excplain the thinking and culture behind it rather thatn just use the drama of the scene. Any help would be gratefully received.

Alan Macfadyenpost-43052-078058700 1303053781_thumb.jpgpost-43052-032683600 1303053810_thumb.jpgpost-43052-076402400 1303053833_thumb.jpg