Chinese-Forums

长的

Master Rakoczi

I recently came across this 长的 expression in two places. First I thought it's just another 的-typo and it's really 得, but after consulting a native I was told 的 is right.

A sentence from Chinasmack:

这个人妖比中国70%的女性都长的好。

A discussion in the dating show 非诚勿扰:

她长的漂亮吗?(see attachment or this link.)

(Context: the host is asking about the contestants ex-girlfriend)

I was told 长的 in the last sentence means 'looking' so it would be "Her looking (is) pretty?"

This sounds too weird for me. Please tell me this is wrong and both examples should use 得. :)

post-29054-012696300 1303316028_thumb.png

When I was at home during the Spring Festival last year, I could easily spot at least 3 typos in the TV captions every day (I don’t have a TV in my dorm at my university). The web-based media is no better. When you read carefully through the news stories of even the most famed Chinese portals, you will find that typos are here and there. Among them, the most prominent one is perhaps Tencent.com which I call 错字大王 ("the Typpo Kingg")

For those who need news stories as study materials, I would recommend the Chinese edition of the Wall Street Journal. Although many stories are translated from its English edition, the translation has few typos and more importantly, it is excellent and much better than the writing of Tecent.

And ifeng.com might be a very good source too.