Chinese-Forums

chinese traditional rhythmic singing/talking

Pravit

My father was watching an old Chinese singing movie the other day(he understands nothing but loves watching them anyway :) ) and I noticed an interesting part where the performer stopped singing and started rhythmically talking, using hand clackers to set the beat. It almost sounded like a kind of "rap" :) I also noticed this while listening to some other Chinese singers. What exactly is this called? Does anyone have a link to a site where I could hear more of it? Actually, it'd be nice if someone knew a site with a lot of Chinese music in general. I don't know if all the music in those old movies is classified as "traditional" or not, but I like that sort of music; alas, I'm not too big a fan of modern Chinese pop.

I performed kuai ban at the foreign student talent show in 1986 when I was at Peking University.

It is particularly popular in Shandong province, where I found several old practitioners in Jinan who were eager to pass on their knowledge to any interested party.

If you ever visit China then you should make a pilgrimage to Shandong, the cradle of kuai ban tradition.

Thanks! About that site, I'm having trouble finding the sound files - it looks like a page with a lot of links to other pages. I can't really read Chinese yet, so I'm kind of walking around blind...could you point me to one of the sound files? :D

Is kuaiban improvised, or are there songs that are passed on from older singers?