Chinese-Forums

Ô­´´ÎÄѧ - Why does this occur?

raea01

That is almost certainly Guobiao, a character-encoding for Chinese text used on the mainland. The problem is that whatever program you are using either (1) does not support Guobiao, or (2) supports it, but is guessing the encoding wrong.

Unless you're doing something really unexpected, your problem is probably #2. In a web-browser you can fix this manually by specifying the encoding. In Internet Explorer, go to "View-->Encoding" and select either GB2312 or GB18030.

i use internet explorer (latest version) i have tried 18030 ,2312 and all the other encoding available on windows I either get a blank page or this type of jargon ¾Ç²ß©Ò¦³ªº¤¤¤å½

from the site (http://chineseon.net/student.php) i am unsure of where to go next.

Thank you.

I've checked the site you mention, and it uses GB2312 encoding. Unlike some sloppily-developed websites, it specifies the encoding in an HTML meta header, which should make it unnecessary for you to manually select it.

One question: Can you usually see Chinese characters on your computer? I'm asking because if you cannot see the Chinese characters on that website, I actually doubt it that you can see them in any other Chinese-language site.

It looks as if you have a non-Chinese operating system, and haven't installed the language pack for simplified Chinese.

If that's the case, and if you use Windows, go to the "Tools -> Windows Update" option on the main menu of Internet Explorer. The Microsoft Windows Update web page will be opened, and you can search for available updates. You should be able to find a language pack for simplified Chinese. After you install it, the Chinese characters on the site you mention should be displayed correctly.

If you have Windows XP, it won't be in Windows Update. Instead, go to Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options -> Language tab, check "Install files for East Asian languages" and click OK. It may prompt you for your Windows XP CD though.

you aren't going to like this but I have XP and i checked the asian languages in the control panel and I have put them on. So i went back to (http://chineseon.net/student.php) and when i tried the gb 2312/18030 again but i just got blank pages and i tried other encoding but either got that jargon again or jargon and part arabic. :-(

any suggestions ?

This is really strange.... I know it might be a long-shot, but are you using a redirect of some sort (proxy server, channeling your fetch request through Apache or another local program)?

If you save the file locally and open it using your browser, do the chinese characters display properly?

Howard, do you really think that is necessary for viewing Chinese websites?? I think that option affects Windows programs with a user interface in Chinese/Japanese/Korean, but raea01 is simply trying to view a web page that displays Chinese characters.

I have never had any problem viewing Chinese websites with Windows 98/2000/XP, or with Linux, as long as the Chinese fonts are installed.

raea01, are you sure you've installed the East Asian language stuff? Can you see other Chinese websites without problems? What happens if you open "cn.yahoo.com"? Or "hk.yahoo.com"? Can you see the Chinese characters in either site?