Chinese-Forums

Dirt Market- Chinese Paintings for Sale?

DannyJo

Hello all,

Been a long long time since I've been in Beijing but I am hoping to go back again soon.

I was on google maps and was looking at the place I used to live in Fu Li Cheng and have seen that loads of this area is being re-developed (or maybe it has been completed by now).

I really wanted to go back to the dirt market to buy some paintings from the little rows of art stalls that used to be set up next to it. Does anyone know if the market is still there and if they still have the rows of art stalls?

Grateful for any response.

P.s. If anyone has any other tips on good places to buy Chinese paintings in Beijing or elsewhere in China please let me know. I know you can't swing a cat in Beijing without someone trying to sell you art but do any of you have a reasonably priced favourite place.

Thanks

DannyJo

I think pan jia yuan (dirt market) is the place to go. You can get them framed at close by Shi Li He very cheaply as well.

There are a lot of guys selling paintings outside of Ikea, but I have found panjiayuan better in selection and price/quality ratio.

Unless you go to Guangdong and check out the factories they make them in, Pan Jia Yuan is your place.