Chinese-Forums

University Selection

cliveloughlin

University Selection  

19 members have voted

1. 1. How did you choose the university you studied at in China?

• Info on Chinese Forums
    • Info on other websites (please state which websites)
    • Info from friends who have studied in China
    • Agencies
    • Newspaper/magazine articles (e.g. 学汉语)
    • Recommendations from teachers
    • Recommendations from Chinese students you know
    • Allocated by scholarship council/funder
    • Pre-selected by your home-country uni (for placement/exchange students)
    • Other (please state)

Hi there

I'm looking to get an insight into how people select universities in China. I'd be really interested in finding out how those (like myself) studying for full Bachelors/Masters/PhDs in Chinese universities chose their unis.

Please chose the most influential method from my list and feel free to add your ideas after completing the poll! (It would also be nice to know where you come from!)

Thanks

Clive

Hey Clive!

I have a feeling there may be a bunch of people, like myself, who fit into multiple categories. As I'm a CSC scholarship student, the final decision on university selection was ultimately made by them. I even mentioned in my personal statement that I was open to school other than the three listed on the application, since I was hoping for the chance to learn the language and experience the country/culture.

That said, these forums actually provided me with the majority of info used in selecting my top three. The rest mainly came from (Chinese) friends recommendations on which schools were good, and direct correspondence with the universities' international students' offices. I would like to say the individual universities' websites played a larger role but, unfortunately, a many leave a lot to be desired... :P

Other -- it was the only exchange program I found that allowed me to live in the same dorms with the Chinese students. [Tunghai University, Taichung City, Taiwan, back in '89. Plus, being 1989, it was a really good year not to be a foreign student on the mainland. But that was just chance, since I picked the program before June 4.]

• 5 weeks later...

If you are on exchange, and you like to travel...consider choosing geographically.

For instance, i picked guangzhou for exchange because -> Easy trip To Hong Kong, Shenzhen, Guilin (places which are near and fun too visit)

Cheap air asia tickets to Hanoi, Saigon, Bangkok, Sanya and so on.

:)