Chinese-Forums

Anybody familiar with a chinese version of yelp?

brockli

I've just recently moved to Wangjing, Beijing. Trying to get acclimated with my local surrounds like local gyms, restaurants, and nightlife. So far walking around and exploring only gets me so far since I can't read signs. I've also checked out websites like Cityweekender but reviews are outdated and Beijing is rapidly changing. Is anybody familiar with websites like Yelp, which allows open reviews of local businesses, and possibly also written in English or can be navigated by novice Chinese readers? Much appreciated.

dianping.com is the most widely used by Chinese people, I think, and it has both excellent user reviews of restaurants/shops/etc and a great iPhone app. Unfortunately, I don't know think it's exactly user-friendly if you don't already read Chinese. You could use a popup dictionary to help find your way around the site.

Well, the Beijinger is your best bet for English-language reviews, but you're mostly going to get places frequented by foreigners. The closest equivalent to Yelp is Dianping, which has a *lot* of reviews but is in Chinese only. For restaurants, you get ratings at the top broken down by 口味 (taste), 环境 (environment), and 服务 (service) -- this you can check out without needing much Chinese.