Chinese-Forums

一个号码 and 一个数子;

Thomill

Hello,

Forgive me if this topic does not belong in this sub-forum, but I am trying to determine the difference between

一个号码

and

一个数子

Do they not both mean "a number"? Is there a different grammatical use for each?

Thank you.

Not necessarily grammatical, but semantic (meaning).

The main difference that I can think of between 号码 and 数字 is that the former will usually be an attribute of something. For example, 电话号码 can be said (though incorrectly) as 电话号码. 数字, on the other hand, will always refer to a number, as in a digit like "8" or "15".

In my experience, 数字 is often a number that can be used mathematically (hence the 'numeric' and 'numeral' meanings to it). 'Adding' and 'multiplying' telephone or number plate 号码 doesn't generally make sense [instead these numbers are 'signs' for something else, e.g. location]; but performing mathematical operations on 数字 often does, whether they are exchange rates or vector field quantities. Then you have the 'digit' and then 'digital' meanings of 数字, which are carried over to things like PINs by convention.