Chinese-Forums

Respect!

danqi

Are 牛逼 and 牛屄 the same?

Yes, they are the same, with 牛屄 being the technically correct one.

People usually just write 牛逼 (because 屄 is too literal and thus too vulgar?)

Please do note that this is a vulgarism slang :twisted::twisted: (Maybe I shouldn't have brought this up. My bad)

Depending on the context, tt can be translated to "cool" "great" "good" "terrific"

It somehow has an antonym 傻逼, which is also one of most common used Chinese (Mandarin?) vulgarism.

It can be translated to " @$$hole" "dumb f^cK". (Well, it does not have the exact opposite meaning as 牛逼)

People usually just write 牛逼 (because 屄 is too literal and thus too vulgar?)

reminds me of this

誰會想到日本的姓氏竟會在中國引起爭議呢?原來,日本野尻眼鏡公司在北京設了一家名為"野尻眼鏡"的分店,結果由於"野尻"一詞太過粗俗,因而招致了中國人的抗議,最終,只好改了一個文雅的店名。

I had not seen that Japanese surname before. Strange, since the character in question has the same meaning in Japanese as in Chinese.

Skylee's post reminds me of something.

Japanese friends have told me that on rare occasions some product (the examples I've been told have been cars) get a certain name that is perfectly pedestrian in most of Japan, but in a particular dialect the same pronunciation happens to be a swear word or such.

For you multi-dialect speakers, does this happen much in China, either for pronunciation or character use?

There are a few people bearing the surname "Bottomley" (Bottom of Valley) in the UK without drawing any controversy. In a similar way, 野尻 is not an uncommon surname in Japan and there is also a famous lake with the same name.

(I feel sorry for those who've lost their innocence ! :wink: )

• 2 weeks later...
Does this mean that 牛屄 nearly always has a positive meaning whereas 傻逼 usually has a negative one?

Yes, although NB can be used in sarcastic ways.(Well, same with most words I guess)

There are quite a few colloquial slangs using NB or SB, but, don't worry about those, probably not useful to you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hi, you guys, please pay attention to this crappy and dirty character: 屄 (I just copied what you wrote above)

You know what that word means? It's really a private party--- you must know cherry in English. that's the meaning!

I really feel disgusting when seeing you guys using this crappy character.

Gosh......

Actually I have never heard of giving "props" to anyone, and I don't what you mean by "whack" either, unless it means to hit something. So that is what comes from learning your English slang from a dictionary!!

Well, it's a hip hop thing, and maybe you are not familiar with it. But I am 100% sure that both these terms are being used by native english speakers.

You know what that word means? It's really a private party--- you must know cherry in English. that's the meaning!

I really feel disgusting when seeing you guys using this crappy character.

:shock:

Actually I have never heard of giving "props" to anyone, and I don't what you mean by "whack" either, unless it means to hit something. So that is what comes from learning your English slang from a dictionary!!

:shock: You're in England dude!!!

Some funny stuff in this thread :mrgreen: