Chinese-Forums

on the way to dongbei

hongputaojiu

Hi guys

I am spending the summer in Dongbei at a university course hopefully improve my chinese a little.

On the way there on the train I have a 3-4 days up my sleeve, and thought could stop at one of these places. Just wondering if anyone can suggest if any of these places are worth a stop or not!

Xinglongxian

Chengde

Xiabancheng

Pingquan

Lingyuan

Yebaishou

Gongyingzi

Chaoyang

Beipiao South

Yixian

Fuxin

Cheers

hongputaojiao

What's your point of origin and what's your destination?

Known as China's 'fossil city', many important paleontological discoveries have been made in Chaoyang, and the Harqin region is the oldest currently known prehistoric site in northern China. Two of the most remarkable Early Cretaceous birds known to date were recovered in the vicinity of the Jiufotang Formation rocks and named Longipteryx chaoyangensis and Sapeornis chaoyangensis in reference to the city...

Liaoning, and in particular Chaoyang, has become the focus of great interest in the world of palaeontology. During the 1990s, many new, unique and fascinating fossils were discovered in this region. Some of the finds have completely revolutionised our ideas of dinosaurs and shed new light on the origin of birds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaoyang,_Liaoning

I have not been there.

I would recomend Chengde. It is home to the summer resort of the Qing Emporeres as well as a replica of the Potala Temple. Chengde is also supposed to have very nice weather in the summer with nice surrounding mountains and wildlife. The Mandarin spoken in Chengde is also quite standard which seems in line with your goals.

Hope this helps.

thanks for the replies

I am heading out of BJ to Dandong to study at East Liaoning daxue. I think it is the K27 or perhaps the slower train (momentarily forgot its code) which stops at the cities that I mentioned in the post.

I have heard good things about Chengde, and is probably where I will go.

But I have travelled a lot on trains throughout China always on a sleeper from one city to the next, and always romanticised about stopping in some of the small towns I have only been able to gaze at through the window (time usually being the main reason not to stop).

Now I have the time, so just thought I would pick a place onroute to have a look around.

thanks

hongputaojiu