Chinese-Forums

Deciding between language insitutions

CharlesLi

Hey everyone,

Before I decided to make this topic, I scoured this entire forum for advice hoping that there were chumps out there who already answered my question.

All I am looking for is a reputable place to undertake mandarin language study.

I have an idea of good places and places to avoid, but it has been a real struggle to make a decision.

It has been a hair wrenching process that has taken much longer than I had expected and I am extremely frustrated right now.

I am after a course which has the following:

*Intensive immersion Chinese (approx. 30hrs per week?) with at least one years duration

*Northern China location namely Beijing (to avoid regional dialects)

*Host family accommodation (can be arranged by myself I guess)

*Small classes with generous student-teacher ratio and highly motivated students

*Focus on language instead of culture (I am traveled and familiar with my own culture)

I am intermediate-advanced and have studied Chinese extensively before.

Here's what I gathered about the most talked about institutions so far:

BLCU - Many mixed reviews and seems lax due to party atmosphere

Peking University - Good but they only have a short summer program. Not what I'm looking for.

Tsinghua - Again mixed reviews and they don't have an academic year intensive.

BNU - Recommended by a few but they have a buggy website and could not find any info. They also don't seem to have an academic year intensive.

IUP - Apart from the extortionate fees. I hold this in high regard. However you need to prove to them you are engaged in a professional career that requires an immediate acquisition of Chinese. I'm engaged in no such thing right now so I don't think it's applicable to me.

ICLP - Same as above

Private language Centers (e.g. 地球村)- Don't trust them as they are businesses first and language institutions second. They also appear to be less serious than universities.

I am also wondering if people could offer their experience with lesser known Universities:

*Communication University of China

*Beijing Union University

*Tianjin University

*Capital Normal University

*Beijing Foreign Studies University

*UIBE

I am not planning to have a study vacation or to have free time. I plan to come to China for scholarly purposes only.

Any advice appreciated,

Charles

I am surprised you write off the private language centers as "businesses first and language second". I believe that is a complete misconception and you can get far more from a private language center(depending on the one) than all of these universities combined(IUP and ICLP are a different type of program). Also, considering the fact you are looking for small classes, I'm afraid this is one of your only options (sans IUP and ICLP).

I've done both systems (university and private language), the problem I had with the university system was the A) Class size B ) focus on reading and writing(oral is secondary) C) inability to focus on your exact mistakes and correct them D) lack of motivation in the classroom.

If fees are not an issue, look into BLI. I went there, they use the IUP model, teach the IUP books, the teachers will push you, hard. If you really want to learn intensively, I highly recommend it.

Also, some other posters have suggested Live the Language and That's Mandarin, from what I've read they have a good reputation and are far better at catering to you than the university system.

• Like 1

Don't trust them as they are businesses first and language institutions second.

So what? Do you think the universities here are charity organizations?

Just if you go to a private school, pay for as short a time as possible. Don't pay for a whole year up front. They'll probably be more accomodating of you to keep you.

@mulletious: Just checked out BLI. Seems like just another American college exchange program. Heavy fees due to ability of credits to be transferred back home.

similar to beijing in Princeton, ACC and Harvard.

Thanks for raising a good point tho.

@Meng Lelan: i think you've misunderstood. yes the mandarin is standard; I just wanna avoid local dialects completely e.g. shanghainese

@anonymoose: some have reported fantastic experiences with private institutions. they may have been lucky and received a good teacher. I just think the quality varies too much as you can't really trust the testimonials. With unis the teaching quality and learning experiences are more consistent.

erm, I'm not sure what BLI you looked at, but I'm thinking you didn't look at the one I attended. It is for one - Not a college exchange program, and secondly, the credits are not transferable, not sure where you got that idea. As I said before, it uses the IUP books, the IUP method, and is an intensive language program. Here is the website: http://www.blichina.com/

I recommend you contact them directly and talk to Li Lihua, she can actually tell you about the program more as their website is quite poor.

• New Members

I am currently attending CNU. I am not in the intensive course, but my roommate is. She is in class almost 8 hours a day. When she arrived she had no experience with the language at all and she's 37 years old. After three months, her lessons are including characters that I have only just studied this semester (and I had studied Chinese for two years in the US at SUNY-Buffalo.) She still has a hard time with the speaking which is more than understandable.

The "dorming" here is NOT a dorm and if you'd be here for a year you'd definitely want to find an apartment for $$ and convenience.

The teachers here are younger for the most part and definitely enthusiastic.

The campuses are not very conveniently placed, but when the new subway lines start opening up it will be much easier to get around. As is, the north campus is only a 10 minute bus ride to gongzhufen and only a 15-20 minute walk to the National Library Station.

She is in class almost 8 hours a day

beautiful, though I'm sure its 6 hours. 8 hours is unheard of

The "dorming" here is NOT a dorm

please elaborate

The teachers here are younger for the most part and definitely enthusiastic.

I've had many young and enthusiastic teachers in the past. In my experience, it is the older teachers who are enthusiastic AND experienced who I can learn the most from.

After much thought, research and discussion; I decided to enrol in BNU. It is a teacher college with a reputation for teaching mandarin to chinese natives who plan to teach mandarin themselves. Also, I've never come across one bad review of the uni. Again, I'd like to mention that I'd like to avoid places such as BLCU which are known for the party atmosphere and foreigner saturation. However, by all means go there if you wanna have a good time and have a relaxed 'studying' vacation.

Thanks for all the inputs!