Chinese-Forums

Translation of Wang Xiaobo's 一只特立独行的猪 - A Pe

roddy

Hi Roddy,

Just a brief comment on two of your direct questions:

(10) I found the translation of 猪兄 problematic - I think 'pig brother' jars in English, but what else should it be?

As I understand it, apart from its conventional meaning, 兄 is also used towards someone simply to show respect, so the narrator uses this towards the pig because of the respect he has for the pig, in spite of his greater age. I noticed you used the word "forgot", but it shouldn't be taken literally.

You think that 'pig brother' jars in English but would "big brother pig" sound any better?

------

(24) Am I right in saying that using 硬说 implies that the person doing the 硬说ing is lying or mistaken?

I don't think so. "Insist" should be the direct translation of 硬说. "Lying" or "mistaken" is not associated with 硬说 but obviously, people could "insist" that they are not guilty (even if they know that they are). In the same way, they could "always claim" that they are not guilty.

I may come back when I have more time but that is all for now.

Cheers,

I don't think so. "Insist" should be the direct translation of 硬说. "Lying" or "mistaken" is not associated with 硬说 but obviously, people could "insist" that they are not guilty (even if they know that they are). In the same way, they could "always claim" that they are not guilty.

John DeFrancis's ABC Dictionary translates 硬说 as "to stubbornly insist."

On the other point, I kind of like "Brother Pig." Capitalizing turns it into almost a proper name, which I think is consistent with the original intent of respect. I also think Wang intended it as a joke, which calling the pig "Brother Pig" would be.

• 2 weeks later...
(10) I found the translation of 猪兄 problematic - I think 'pig brother' jars in English, but what else should it be? I was happy to get rid of it once here, but I have one query. Does the Chinese mean a) I forgot I was older than the pig and referred to him as 'pig elder brother' (and it should have been pig younger brother). or B) I forgot how old I was and thought of him as my brother (which was a childish thing to do.? 请多指教
a) I forgot I was older than the pig and referred to him as 'pig elder brother' (and it should have been pig younger brother)

This one is correct.

(22) Is 'simply' a good one here? It seemed a better choice to me than comfortably.

"simply" is definitely better than nothing. I do feel it may be better than "comfortably" here as the latter can be too strong.

安之若素: 安然相处,和往常一样,不觉的有什么不合适。

• 2 years later...