Chinese-Forums

Sponsorship/scholarship to come to BLCU

prateeksha

Hello everyone. I am posting from New Delhi, India. I am a student of Chinese language. I have already completed a 2-year diploma in Chinese with an aggregate of 84% marks. I have now gotten admission in Beijing Language and Culture Institute for the Sep 2011-August 2012 Intermediate course.

Problem is, money. My parents cannot afford my education. Loans in India are not giving a loan for this course [they consider prospects of employment and return, and for their own reasons this course does not suit the bill]. I am now looking for scholarships/sponsorships that can help me come to BLCU. I could not apply for CSC since I was awaiting my final result that time [they tell you not to apply if final result is awaited]. I dropped a mail to BLCU asking about their Beijing International Students Scholarship but they told me it's only for degree students.

I'm in a soup. Really desperate on this one. SOS! :unsure:

• Like 1

If you don't mind not going to Bejing, look into Southwest University of Finance and Economics in Chengdu as they offer scholarships for foreign students of full or half fees. Their accomodation is also really cheap but has everything you need (600RMB a month).

Alternatively, the University of Jinan in Shandong Province offers free tuition to foreign students for a year. The accomodation seems a bit more pricey but its closer to places like Beijing and Qingdao if you want to see the country.

These are they only two places I found to offer the possibility of free tuition without a CSC/Confucius Institute/Provincial scholarship for language (non-degree students).

Otherwise, save and chill for a year if you feel you must got to BCLU as you'll need to pay for visa's, insurance, air fare and travel on top of any scholarship you get next year.

Good luck!

• Like 1

@Lantos: That did not help, really. Thanks anyway.

@Liebkuchen: Thank you so much! That advice is very informative. However I'm decided on BLCU now. It's not that I'm not trying for scholarships here in India, and I have a pretty good chance at getting one too.

I am actually seeking advice on scholarships I can get once I come to BLCU. I checked their official website and it mentions 3 scholarships. Sadly 2 are only for Masters' students.

The one that that is relevant to me is titled as Beijing International Students Scholarship The following candidates are eligible for it:

The Scholarship will cover the recipient's tuition. A qualified recipient should meet the following, but not limited to, qualification (and the respective supporting duration follows in the latter part):

A. Outstanding degree-student; 4 academic years at the maximum

B. Advanced visiting scholar; 1 academic year at the maximum

C. General scholar and language student; 1 academic year at the maximum

Do I fall under any of these categories? I suppose I do in the C category [one-year Intermediate program]. However when I dropped mail to BLCU directly, they said this scholarship is only for degree students.

Could anyone explain the anomaly?