Chinese-Forums

-

skillphiliac

Translating is an unpleasant profession if you don't like translation. Not sure what kind of translation work you'd want to do, finding commercial translation work shouldn't be too difficult, but I have no idea what the situation is for literary translation in Germany. It probably won't get you rich though, unless the next Dan Brown is from China and you're lucky enough to translate that book. If you're thinking of going in this direction, go talk to some translators, perhaps it's really as bad as you fear, but at least then you know for sure.

Provided you're interested enough in economics to study it and later perhaps find a job in that field, could you perhaps go for a master's but study abroad (in China or Taiwan) for a while, like a semester or a year? or get an internship there? The Taiwanese Ministry of Education has nice scholarships, or are those hard to get in Germany as well? Perhaps your university's international office can advise you on the options?

A friend of mine translates from Japanese in Germany. But he translates youth novels, which is somewhat similar to Manga in its target audience, and this is somewhat specific to Japan. He's not exactly getting rich, but it covers the costs.

I agree that translation is not something you should do unless you like it.