Chinese-Forums

What is the function of 着?

黎佳铮

• New Members

Currently I was learning the using of 着. But i'm still confusing it's function? Does it indicate some event is occuring or there's anything else? Help me please. And thank you very much for all your help. :)

Also this.

*Note - In Taiwan, where traditional Chinese is used, 著 = 着. In Mainland China, 著 is only used for the sense zhu4 as in 著名/名著. In Hong Kong, which also uses traditional Chinese, it is not standardised. But the school standard is the same as the Mainland's.

• New Members

Thanks for the link. :) I want point for 着 as zhe which indicate continuing process, what's the difference with 正在/在?

Can I use 着 like 正在/在, e.g. 我正在吃面包 and with 着 e.g 我吃着面包。? I still dont know whether I have to use 正在/在 or 着。

Thanks. :)

• New Members

我正在/在吃着面包can be simplely translate into:I am now eating bread.正在/在means now,and 着is kind of like "ing" the suffix of eating.着use as continue process must following a verb.Or you if you use 正在/在,you can no need to use 着,eg.我正在看电视。you will know more usage of 着 when you go further into Chinese,hope this is helpful for you.