Chinese-Forums

Bad luck with getting certain tattoos?

mikesolo

• New Members

Hi, I recently got over the passing of my father it happened when I was 19 I am now 22. I grew up in the United States but have a Cantonese heritage. I wanted to get a tattoo and it was going to be this picture http://www.chinesepaintings.com/chinese-painting/chinese-painting-P10149L.html however I found out through searching around that getting Guan Yu tattoo'd is a sign of disrespect, is it disrespectful to get other chinese warriors tattoo'd on your chest and right arm? What about Liu Bei or Zhang Fei? And what about Yue Fei? http://a.ooi1.com/usa/n1464.jpg such as in that photo there? Thanks guys I really want to make sure that there are no superstitious problems when I get this done.

Guan Yu has been regarded as a God. Usually people who run shops have a statue of Guan Yu at home. It's believed that Guan Yu can defend the people from evil and ghosts and also bless the people to have both wealth and health. It's a very serious thing if you want to invite Guan Yu to the house. I'm not very sure but I know there are some taboos. It's really disrespect to get Guan Yu tattoo. And we all know what happens if we show no respect to a God. Yue Fei is a famous national hero and personally I don't think it's OK to get his tattoo. I may feel a bit odd to see someone with a Yue Fei tattoo. As to Liu Bei and Zhang Fei, they may be OK. They are neither gods nor national heroes. Among them all, I think Zhang Fei is the most OK one.

Eight horses are nice. They mean success. Even one horse is OK. The horse has a good fame in China.

The crane is a good bird in China. It means health, long life, and good luck. But it's said that in France it means a slut. Is it real? If so, I suggest you not have a crane. There are four famours mythic animals which are also the names of the four groups of Chinese constellations. They are Rosefinch(朱雀 simplified,朱雀 traditional) in the South, Tortoise (玄武,玄武) in the North, Dragon (青龙,青龍) in the East and Tiger (白虎,白虎) in the West. Besides, the phoenix(凤凰,鳳凰) and Kylin(麒麟,麒麟) are also great. There are many other mythic animals whose names I just don't remember. The 12 Shengxiao are also OK.