Chinese-Forums

Hotels for first night in Beijing before moving into BLCU dorms

DPClean

What would you recommend I stay at before moving into BLCU dorms?

Say that I arrive in Beijing, and need a few night of hotel before moving into dorms.

Rather pay extra the first few days, rather that it be in the same general area as the school, but still be on the scale of the budget of a student travelling from the US.

You could try this hostel. It's a five-minute walk from BLCU (maybe ten if you're a slow walker), it's bang in the middle of the university district, and it's pretty cheap. There are no private bathrooms, but I found it perfectly acceptable for a few days. If you have a bit more money to spend, you could of course stay in the hotel right next to BLCU, but that'd be quite a bit more expensive. It may lead to less of a culture shock, though. Help me out with the name, please, someone ;)

Xijiao hotel I believe... although recent online rates are not very favorable. Seems to be $85 USD per night, imo a complete rip off. You'd be better off finding something on ctrip.com (check Haidian district and just find something not too far from a subway line and/or BLCU) or staying in the hostel mentioned above. You could try the BLCU conference center but it was always booked up anytime I tried. Inflation in Beijing is out of control these days and hotels are no exception. :-(

Be careful booking online (e.g. via ctrip) you may find out hard way that the hotel doesn't accept foreigners. It can happen that you check into one, only to get knock on the door at 10:00 p.m. with request to leave ( they just now found out foreigners not accepted ). Happened to me few times.

This hotel in Beijing goes for 168 rmb, I stayed there after walking through sets of rejections ( until midnight actually )

http://hotel.elong.net/detail_en_00101323.html

They have no formal foreigners license, I am not sure why they let me stay.

stay at a hostel for sure. from my experiences staying at all kinds of hotels and hostels in china, hostels have always been cleaner, speak more english and better located than comparably priced hotels.

For hostels: hostelworld.com

For hotels: elong.com

Ditto - Xijiao is the cheapest on Expedia. I too arrived in Beijing to attend BLCU a couple months ago. Knowing no one and without a place to stay, I stayed at XIjiao for 2 weeks (renewing twice) before i found off campus housing. The average rate came out to about 220-230 for their cheapest room, 230-240 for a slightly bigger room with a small washing machine and small kitchen (no plates or utensils though).