Chinese-Forums

Is QQ, the most typical email alternative to gmail.

DPClean

Hi, I'm in the US, and have come to rely on gmail, and many things google.

But if google is going to be blocked / sporatic while in China, then what are good alternatives.

Looking more for the mainstream email solution, rather than the technologically best solution.

Google has never been blocked (only specific services), and the few times its email service became sporadic, the outage was relatively short lived. The fact these outages usually involved "connection resets" and that it only affected the P.R.C. means the GFW is clearly the culprit. That said, I am also skeptical that it ever will get blocked outright... Given the sheer number of people who already use it, the potential backlash from users isn't worth the negligible benefits of blacklisting it. The main concern, given the alleged, repeated hacking of Google accounts from within the P.R.C., is the security of your account, not whether it will be accessible.

A few things can easily prevent the most common security breaches:

1. Not using the web interface. Connecting to Gmail using its POP/IMAP servers (i.e. using an email client such as Thunderbird, or on a device such as an iPhone's built in software) prevents look-alike websites from phishing your details

2. Using two-step authentication (if you insist on using the web interface). I've never used this with Google, but it does exist. It adds a second step to logging in. With other services, it usually means inputting a code an iPhone/Android app sends you, or a code they text/SMS you

3. Not logging in through a page you reach by clicking a link. Typing the address yourself reduces the chance of it being a phishing link.

4. Changing passwords frequently. Although this does mean logging in to the web interface, when coupled with the above its not a problem and will add slightly more security.

*The above apply equally if one uses a Gmail based university email address, not uncommon in North American or Europe.

As much as I have Chinese email addresses (QQmail, my university address etc), and may eventually use one such as 网易 163, they were automatically created when using other services and I no plans to stop using Gmail. There's the fact its much more widely accepted when corresponding with others overseas, and simply the principle: If Google is being put through a more stringent regulatory ringer than others, why should I give those others my business, and justify the practice?

• Like 1

I guess it depends on ISP's, where you are in the country etc. Connecting to Gmail on my phone (through China Unicom) and through my dorm connection (CERNET), I can only think of a couple of weeks with sporadic access, and a few days where I wanted to tear my hair out.