Chinese-Forums

a light globe and a lamp, how should I tell one from the other in translation?

Kenny同志

Context:

Replace your light globes with low energy light globes and with less powerful globes (hint: use a lamp).

According to the definition given by the Free Dictionary Online, a lamp is “any of a number of devices that produce illumination.” How should I distinguish a lamp from a light globe/bulb?

In common usage, a light bulb (I never use the word "light globe" - is that American bastardised English or what?) specifically means just the glass container with the light-producing mechanism inside.

A lamp, on the other hand, is the entire fixture, which has a socket for a bulb. A lamp could also produce light by burning oil or burning a candle.

See this Wikipedia article for a more detailed explanation, specifically:

The use of the word "lamp" to describe light fixtures is common slang for an all-in-one luminary unit, usually portable "fixtures" such as a table lamp or desk lamp (in contrast to a true fixture, which is fixed in place with screws or some other semi-permanent attachment). In technical terminology, a lamp is the light source, what is typically called the light bulb.
  • Like 1

谢谢二位。:)

The source text might have been written by a non-native speaker, given the fact that the spelling is British, for example, he/she used “neighbour”, instead of “neighbor” which is American. However, overall, it’s a good writing.