Chinese-Forums

English to Chinese - This too shall pass

anirbek

这也会过去 and it still seems to me to be exactly what I want, stating plainly, 'this will be the past'. Is this phrase more recognisable (less stupid) than 这也过去?

这也会过去 = "This also will pass", 这也过去 = "This also passes"

It makes more sense, but neither will make a good Chinese tattoo by most standards (for the reasons I stated in my earlier post).

Also, if the shape of characters is a primary concern for you, you should specify so up front...

Neither is good enough IMO. I think it is clear in the discussion here, but perhaps it is not. But if you like it, well it is your tattoo and your body. We've even had a guy reporting that he had gotten a tattoo that means idiot (read from #27 of this thread).

@skylee - had a read through that thread, and I get what you are saying, but surely either of these 这也过去 or 这也会过去 are just statements, which whilst they may not make any sense to Chinese people are precisely the words I want to use. They are not misunderstood by me - it's not like I think they say something they don't, and they're not offensive, nor is the translation downright wrong. I realise the phrase/mantra itself holds no meaning in Chinese, but if I asked a Chinese person what it said, they would reply with precisely what I meant. So if it says what I want it to say what more can I ask?

I think it is just going to stand out in my collection...

@anirbek, just for reference (as you mentioned you don't understand Chinese), that's a collection of bad/ugly/stupid tattoos that western people have got, thinking they were getting something cool in Chinese.

See also hanzismatter.

When almost every post in this thread by someone who speaks Chinese has said don't get that suggestion tattooed, it's probably a good idea to listen.

What about 没大便乾燥了?

I think you made the right decision. I know you wanted this, but some times things just don't work out.

If you think English is too ugly, how about getting it done in Persian? It's the original (according to wikipedia), and it's an exact translation of what you want.

And if you absolutely must get it done, then make sure you go to a tattoo artist that understands Chinese and is skilled in calligraphy, firstly so that hopefully they will dissuade you from having it done, and secondly, if it is done, that the characters are properly drawn. It would be adding insult to injury if the ridiculous phrase where tattooed in ugly characters.

@roddy - I thought it was elegant! At least the words are to me - it's a mantra, repeated and repeated - so it was the words I wanted. I'll look at the Persian, but it's just not so nice... at least it would be exact though, with no ambiguity.

OK, so the Persian is tempting me, it just doesn't look like words though! At least the Chinese characters are recognisable as language! The Persian

این نیز بگذرد

could possibly look just like random scrawl. I appreciate it IS NOT and I mean no offence to Persians, maybe I'll sleep on it.

Thanks again for all advice and input, I do appreciate it :)

Edit: Now to find a Persian forum, and have them all tell me I'm a stupid Westerner, why don't I write in bloody English!!!

The problem is, those Chinese words are different from the English ones - even if at surface level they look similar.

If you got that tattooed, you would not be getting the words you wanted tattooed, which is partly why people have been telling you not to do it.

P.S. no need to find a Persian forum, just wait for rezaf to come along :P

Oooh, well, for when he comes along - is this what I want it to say

این نیز بگذرد

(copied from wiki, so I hope so...)

Will it be clear and sensible when written right to left on the inside of my left wrist (I am utterly ignorant of the Persian language, but I assume it is written right to left - backwards to my eye)? Will it cause offense to anyone - not that I bump into many Persians!?

Is there a particularly nice font I can use to make it look extra pretty?

Thanks in advance... hopefully this wil be the one. Again. :) Frustrated much!

Just be prepared to be detained next time you go through immigration in the US.

Well, I thought about suggesting he has it done in Arabic ("كله ماشي", from Wikipedia), but had the same thought.

If the US immigration officials had a sense of irony (which I doubt....), they would forbid the OP from "passing though" and entering the USA for having "كله ماشي" as a tattoo.....

@roddy - I thought it was elegant!

Tattooing 这也会过去 is like tattooing "This'll be over soon". It doesn't work because it sounds colloquial, which is usually not considered elegant for a Chinese phrase. In contrast, "This too shall pass" has a literary, classical ring to it, which is why we were trying to provide literary equivalents.