Chinese-Forums

Chinese Food = Diahrrea?

kdavid

No kidding! For five years? Well I have a friend who has got some condition for which he basically has to take it everyday, but that was under medical supervision. Even it could be perfectly safe for you to do so as well but I still think you should discuss this problem with your doctor. I think the BRAT diet as suggested by a doctor is worth trying if you really have to take so much Imodium...

@ rezaf: Now you say that. Well, I don't know if OP is interested in TCM or not but I've had 藿香正气液 for my diarrhoea before which I think worked quite well...

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update for anyone eagerly following this thread (pffft):

I did an elimination diet for about three weeks. I had no change in bowel movements during that time, which led me to believe the issue was not dietary.

I got up at the butt crack of dawn of this morning and went to 医大一 here in Harbin. I paid to see "the best" doctor they had--to see the 副主任 cost a whopping 5 kuai.

After drinking a can of barium sulfate, having my cuts poked and prodded, and about 2 hours of X-rays, the 副主任 told me my feet were too cold and to cut back on the liquor. (FYI: I rarely, rarely drink.)

I have 100% completely loss faith in this country's medical community. What a bunch of fucking quacks.

It looks like I'm left sitting on the pot alone here.

...the 副主任 told me my feet were too cold and to cut back on the liquor. (FYI: I rarely, rarely drink.)

A barium swallow does sound like a strange starting point for a chronic diarrhea workup. Harbin is a big city and one would think there would be a competent GI (gastroenterology) group there somewhere. You have my condolences, though that's not worth much.

A Baidu search using 胃肠病专家哈尔滨 and 胃肠病医院哈尔滨 does return several hits. My Chinese is not good enough to take it much further.

I did an elimination diet for about three weeks. I had no change in bowel movements during that time, which led me to believe the issue was not dietary.

Be sure to include (exclude?) everything in such a diet, such as vitamin supplements. A multi-vitamin with 100% RDA of iron can cause constipation, for ex.