Chinese-Forums

Chinese input method (windows)

Silent

I installed the microsoft simplified pinyin input method a while ago. In general it works fine, but I encounter 2 issue's that increasingly annoy me.

1. Every time I change from English to Chinese 'at caret' is on. In this status I don't manage to choose the wanted character efficiently. Sometimes it works nicely, but sometimes it removes the dotted underline before I got my characters right. Consequently I usually toggle it manually when I switch to chinese which is not handy. Can some-one give a hint how to switch it off permanently and/or how to efficiently select the characters needed with 'at caret' on?

2. When I switch to Chinese the language bar by default indicates CH 中. When this is the case it works fine. Sometimes however it says CH 英. Sometimes I can toggle it by clicking 英, but often times it doesn't and I don't manage to type Chinese any more. Only with trial and error/luck it gets corrected again. It's not clear to me why it toggles between 中 and 英 but I suspect it has to do with switching between programs/tabs. Any-one a tip on how to prevent the 'random' toggle between 中 and 英?

I believe you that it's not random, but the shift is not the pattern I'm looking for. The shift button is as far as I can judge identical to clicking. If the one works, the other works. If one doesn't work the other doesn't work. If I only click through the tabs of my browser, with some tabs active I have displayed 中 others I have 英 displayed and can't change it. Similar things happen when I switch between applications. So it's not browser specific. The only pattern I've found so far is that it always (?) occurs after I switched several times between language AND application/tab.

Try using the Google or the Sogou pinyin IME. Both of them are far better than the Microsoft one in terms of ability to choose the correct characters when typing long sentences. You might find that it solves your other problems too.

Regarding the shift key, usually it is only one of the shift keys that will change it (for me, I like to have it set to the left shift, othertimes it's the right shift).

• Like 1

What Imron said. I recently switched to Sogou. Used Google Pinyin before that. Both are way better than Microsoft IME. The databases are fuller, and they get updated, plus they learn your typing patterns. Try it out--the differences are immediately recognizable.

Looks like I need a chinese course to get sogou to work. Removed the ms ime, set non-unicode to chinese, installed the software, but no matter what I choose, EN and CH both type ordinary english....

Probably some setting, I'll whether I can figure it in the weekend.

I discovered it does work, but only with a silly set of applications.

It works with both my mediaplayers, Audio editor, rosetta stone, gps mapping program, notepad and even with freecell I get the toolbar. It does not work with firefox and open office, imho the obvious applications to use it. Anyone know how to fix this?

If you are typing English with the IME active, what happens if you first press and release the left shift key by itself and then start typing again? Failing that, are you able to upload a screenshot of the IME toolbar when it is activated in an application that doesn't work?