Chinese-Forums

武侠 (数字)

abcdefg

Saw 武侠 yesterday afternoon on a big screen in Kunming. Martial arts with some clever modern twists. Features 甄子丹 Donnie Yen (叶问)and Takeshi Kaneshiro (十面埋伏; 赤壁)。

The language was difficult for me and there were lots of things I didn't understand until later when I could read some reviews. It had some interesting TCM references, particularly to unusual uses of acupuncture (don't want to say more so as not to spoil it for you. The plot requires a Whole Lot of "willing suspension of disbelief," particularly towards the end.

Here is some information on the film:

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/article/cannes-movie-review-wu-xia-dragon-2011

http://ent.sina.com.cn/f/m/wuxia/

I still don't get the use of (数字)in the title, but it says that on my ticket stub. Anybody have a clue?

--------------------

It was the digital version of the movie/shown on a digital projector?

Maybe that was it. The film did show at a very modern cinema house, probably the best in town. And the film featured some impressive CGI stunts, especially early on. Characters flew backwards in space and time.

Everyone in the screening room seemed delighted with Kaneshiro's Sichuan accent.

I remember his saying he was from Sichuan, but I could only tell that he talked "a little funny" -- I could not identify it as a Sichuan accent. I'm not good at identifying accents.

sounds delicious

@rezaf, With your interest in TCM as well as wu shu film, I'll bet you would enjoy it. I thought it was well worth 30 Yuan to see it in a real auditorium instead of on my laptop computer screen.

Maybe. Would that refer to the CGI stunts?

No, it almost certainly means it was shown using a digital projector rather than a traditional one. The only other possibility I would think is that it was shot completely with digital cameras rather than film, but I think the former is far more likely to appear in brackets on your ticket stub.

Edit: According to Baidu Zhidao:

影院放映分胶片版和数字版两种,胶片版就是最早的放映技术,现在基本上都采用数字版,放映更方便,也会稍微清晰一点点。

Would that refer to the CGI stunts?

No, it almost certainly means it was shown using a digital projector rather than a traditional one.

Oh, OK. I'm not at all familiar with that technology. Read the Wikipedia article just now.

post-20301-018185100 1310133394_thumb.jpg

More on the digital mystery.

@imron, You must be right. I dug out several other old ticket stubs, and the ones from the more modern cinema houses are designated digital (数字)while those from the older, less up to date places are not. I would have expected to find 数码 instead of 数字, because I've seen that on the signs of digital camera stores, but such is life (full of surprises and learning opportunities.)

post-20301-080384000 1310180568_thumb.jpg

post-20301-021401200 1310180595_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

I didn't particularly like this one. Don't know why, but it was quite weird, part existentialist drama, part detective flick, part wuxia, but none of them really. Yip Man was far more entertaining, and I liked the introspective drama more in a less fantastic setting, like 我心飞翔 .

I guess I'm really going against the grain here, as everyone else seems to like it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...