Chinese-Forums

Non-Tang poetry translations

dreamon

Hello, respected teachers,

When I need to translate a Tang poem into English, I just type it into Google in Advanced Search, set "language" to "English" (or domain to .org, .edu and so on), and quickly find several decent translations. However, with Song poems this often fails. Apparently, Song poem translations are rarely posted in the searchable web. Is there a specialized repository of classical Chinese poems with English translations?

Thank you!

It is too difficult for google to translate chinese poem into english directly,but you can buy a book about the chinese poem and use google to translate the paraphrase into english,then you can study the poem more easly.

East Asia Student> Which Song poems do you have in mind?

These were two poems by Lǐ Qīngzhào (李清照). Once I figured out that she is the author, I was able to find some English translations. But if you know more comprehensive repositories of Chinese classical poems with English translations, please share your links!

BTW, to the editors: please fix the "Add Reply" button so that pressing it does not destroy the already-typed post. Someone who does not post too often may not search for a small "Post" button at the bottom of the edit window (below the bottom boundary of the screen) and believe that the top "Add Reply" button is the post button.

Su Shi, Xin qiji,Li YU, Wen Tingyun,Liu Yong, Qin Guan, Jiang Kui, Ouyang Xiu, Zhou Bangyan, Lu You, Yan Shu, Yan Jidao, Wu Wenyin, Huang Tingjian, etc.

Google these key words one by one, I am sure you will get something you wanted.