Chinese-Forums

Need movie or show with strong NE dialect

WestTexas

Hey guys, I'm moving up to a small town in the Northeast next month and was thinking I'd practice listening to some characteristic northeast dialect. Does anyone have any TV shows or movies that feature some authentic 东北话? The more farmer-esque the better. I know Northeast Chinese is supposed to be close to standard Chinese, and I suppose it is closer than the other Chinese dialects, but in my experience, outside of Harbin, it still has a strong characteristic sound and some unique words. Some of the people in the town I'm moving to have such heavy 儿化音 it sounds like they are continuously vomiting or something.

Anyway, any movies or shows you could recommend would be helpful. Right now I'm watching a show with strong 北京 dialect, which is close to 东北话 but not exactly the same, I think.

Its cold up here, but the people are wonderful.

I second Roddy. Zhao Benshan and most older movies feature a somewhat NE accent.

Shenyang is pretty good for Mandarin. Dalian to a lesser extent. Western Liaoning has strange accents for some reason, such as the Jinzhou accent which seems to be already rising like everything is a question.

• Like 1

Oh, I'm moving to a *very* small town. I live in Shenyang right now. The town I'm moving to is much further north. It only has a few foreigners and is very far from any large city. The main problem with the Shenyang dialect is that many of them cannot distinguish between s/sh, and some also cannot distinguish between c/ch.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will check those out on tudou when I have time.

Hi,

What is the name of the town/city?

I want to second / (third) Roddy's suggestions. 乡村爱情 in particular is a great show, although I feel a lot of the Chinese actors are putting on the 'country 东北' accent. If you can, look for the Liaoning Satellite TV channel (辽宁卫星电视台) - they have a lot of local content on there too.

• Like 1

Actually, tell you what you should do - go looking for the local TV or radio channel and look for news or phone-in shows. TV actors and presenters are never going to be have that much of an accent, but interviewees and the folk phoning in will be pretty authentic.

• Like 1