Chinese-Forums

Studying Tibetan in Beijing

-葛亚辉-

Does anyone know if there's anything available in Beijing for someone who wants to (somewhat casually) study Tibetan? It could be taught in Mandarin or English, I don't really care about that...or maybe just some organization that offers some tutors so that I could learn a little bit from a Tibetan student or something?

I'm not trying to master the language or anything, but I'd love to be able to converse at least a little bit in it, and I figure Beijing is big enough there ought to be something...then again, if there IS something, I haven't found it yet..

It is located along the ring road somewhere.

Narrows it down to several hundred kilometers of clogged motorway :P

I suspect you're thinking of the 驻京办事处 - the provincial government's office in Beijing - on the North Fourth Ring Road*. To be honest I suspect any random foreigners turning up asking to learn Tibetan are as likely to get taken away for questioning as anything else. Might be a restaurant though. And actually, that's probably as good a bet for meeting Tibetan people as any - Tibetan restaurants.

Which reminds me, if you do go to 民大 at all, don't miss the restaurant strip on the north side. Yums.

*Actually ignore me, Google Maps says that is on Gulou Xi, at the Tibetan Hotel there.