Chinese-Forums

Bicycle vs Public transport in Beijing

Ayanchin

Hi to all, I'm going to study in BLCU during the coming academic year. Just wondering, what's preferable, cheaper and more convenient in Beijing - to buy a bicycle (how much? what to do in the end of the year?), hire one (how much, where?) or just use the UBahn/metro and the buses?

tnx for the answers and good luck for everybody

I would suggest you buy a bicycle anyway. You will still be using public transport for longer commutes. It's not really a question of one or the other.

You can expect to pay 300 RMB for a new bicycle and a lot less for a second-hand one. Don't bother with hiring them, that is not the way to go. That is for tourists, not students. There are many places around BLCU to buy bikes. Opposite the east gate there is a Giant dealer, but that is only one example.

• Like 2

As Blog says, bicycles are fairly cheap and very convenient. I'm not sure if the traffic situation is as bad in Wudaokou as it is in the center, but bikes are often faster than buses. The metro (I love that you call it the U-bahn!) is good for longer distances, but no use for getting around in Wudaokou.

At the end of your stay, you can either sell your bike or give it away to someone. They're too cheap to bring home, and a few hundred kuai is money well spent for a year of getting around.

• Like 1

The above comments are correct. Bicycles are cheap and great for shorter journeys. That said, a lot will depend on whether you commute, how far you will be travelling daily etc.

My guess is, assuming you live on campus, that BLCU's proximity to both metro and bus routes will make them the most convenient for longer journeys (or taxis, which are abundant by western standards are quite cheap). The bike will likely be used more for leisure or the odd run to the supermarket.

I was going to suggest you won't have to worry about what to do with it when you leave...... it'll be stolen long before then :mrgreen:

Even parking it on campus at BLCU is not safe. I just bought a used one for 120 kuai just north of the west gate. I wouldn't even bother spending 400+ kuai on a bike. Even if you park it in your room mostly, it will probably be stolen outside a supermarket.

My tally for 2 years in Beijing:

1 scooter stolen

1 bike stolen

1 scooter battery stolen

After a year at BLCU I never had my bike stolen. I guess it just depends on each person's luck! I would agree not to spend much on one though. Just get something very basic that will not stand out in a crowd.

A lot does depend on luck. I've had a bike survive being locked up all Chinese New Year holiday, while I was out of the country, by BNU. I used it a handful of times in the spring, checking on it the days I didn't use it, and one day it was gone... This was despite it being in an area with dozens of other bikes being locked up.

Bring the quality lock you use at home with you and always attach it to something solid. It won't get stolen.

A thief wouldn't think twice about cutting your $30 lock to get at the new Giant bike you bought for 800+ RMB.

Your lock shouldn't be $30 but rather $50-$80.

Even if the thief thinks twice and once again on top on it, he just cannot get it cut! because he's not yet come over such a thing, since nobody spends more than 50 kuai for a lock in china. And even if, only one out of hundred bike shops sells quality locks.

Believe me, that logic rocks! :)

If you walk out the west gate and head north (right) and walk 100-200m until you reach a small pedestrian gate there will be a bike repair shop that also sells bikes. You actually pass dorm 17 on your left. New bikes will be about 150 kuai, but it might have increased. I bought a used one for 120 kuai.

Reminds me of a story I heard where a student frustrated over getting his bike stolen put 15 locks on his new bike. Others thought it would be funny to put more locks on it, so the bike wouldn't be taken, even by its owner. This was also featured in the TV show Reno 911.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You can either go with a bicycle (get a cheap one) or an electric bicycle if you want to have fun (if you can park it somewhere safe).

Then during winters you won't have much choice - you'll have to resort to public transportation. Depends where you are, how far from a subway station, but buses are usually pretty reliable.

• 2 months later...

Honestly, it doesn't matter that much about locks. People don't cut it or pick it. They just roll the tire that's not locked...

Or, if your a real pro, they drive a huge van and sweep the entire street (as in they pick up the bike with the lock and place it in the truck) When people ask they say they are working for the government cuz all these bikes are parked illegally. (This is true, the Wudaokou sbuway station actually has a legit crew that does this...but others can claim to be legit right?)