Chinese-Forums

Fairy Tales: Who is the Nine-Tailed Fox?

Cyberian

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Dear Cyberian

The Nine-Tailed Fox is a demon female image in traditional Chinese fair-tail named "Feng1 Shen2 Bang3"《封神榜》. But I don't know whether this book has an English version.

Thanks!

I haven't seen an English version

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

The nine-tailed fox is a legendary beast mentioned in the well-known Classic of Mountains and Seas or Shan Hai Jing . In Book I, Chapter I, you can read :

" (In the Green Hills) there is an animal like a fox, but with nine tails. It wails like a baby. It can eat humans. He who eats it will not suffer from poisonous insects (or evil influences ?)."

But there are many other nine-tailed foxes in Chinese legends.

Best regards.

Hi' date='

I failed to find sufficient information on the Nine-Tailed Fox. Can someone give me some basic information on the Nine-Tailed Fox. If possible, a book where I can read more about him.

Thanks in advance.[/quote']

did you know that there's a korean tv-series for this story? as a matter of fact, the series come with an english sub-titled as well. in case you're interested, check it out:

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/pid-1003962019/section-videos/code-k/version-all/

• 1 month later...

The nine tail fox was originally a pet of Nu Wa- the female God-creator in Chinese mythology. During the Yin or commonly known as the Shang Dynasty, the last emperor was a wicked and lustful man who made some sexual and rude comments to the statue of Nu Wa Goddess in her temple. Hearing the remarks, Nu wa decided to punish the emperor by sending her pet fox to seduce the emperor and to cause the collapse of his empire so that a wiser king can rule in place of the corrupt and licentious king.

However, Nu Wa's reminder to the pet fox was not to do harm to mankind and to only fulfil its mission of bringing down the evil king's dynasty. Of course, being a cunning fox who quickly falls to the material seduction of earth and the power it can wield by possessing the body of an attractive court maiden, the pet fox quickly gain power over the king and his army. The nine tail fox was known as Ta Ji in its human reincarnate. She devised many torturous devices in the Shang dynasty and surprisingly, these devices was recorded in history books and unearthed as historical artefacts by modern archeologists. They include the Pao Luo- a huge metallic pillar where a buring furnace stood in the middle and prisoners or ministers she detests would be tied to the big pillar with prints carved on them and burnt alive. Other concubines vying for the king's attention were thrown in a pit called Peng Chi - where poisonous snakes were reared and Ta ji would often sit in the dungeon to enjoy a great show of concubines or other beautiful ladies bitten to death by the snakes.

During the Dynasty of the last emperor, terror reign throughout the country when Ta ji was made Queen after the original Queen was asked to remove her eyes in another Ta ji's plot to expand her powers in court. When the Dynasty finally succumb to its own evilness and being attacked by a rising army led by the King of Wu, she was executed by the King of Wu himself. When the spirit of the pet fox returned to Nu Wa, it was severly punished by the Goddess for disobeying her and causing so many innocents to lose their live. To prevent future calamity, Nu Wa decided to banish this cunning nine tail fox to a distant space in the heavens and to be eternally guarded by ferociou wolves. That is why in Chinese astrology, there is such a star known as the Tang Lang (greedy wolves), not because the wolves are greedy but because what they are guarding is the reincarnate of pure evilness and extreme danger to mankind. Eversince, Tang Lang star is also known as the 'God' of desires and controls all aspect of human nature that's got to do with wine, sex , gambling, conceit, jealousy, plot, music, dance, creative arts, and all forms of desires- good and bad!

hope this info satisfy your curiosity!

Boyikao