Chinese-Forums

Shi mian mai fu (House of Flying Dagger)

Cyberian

Take a look at this -> http://140.111.1.22/clc/chengyu/mandarin/fulu/dict/cyd/26/cyd26009.htm

形容被敵軍層層包圍。三國演義.第三十九回:「敵軍如此,雖十面埋伏,吾可懼哉 !」元.無名氏.賺蒯通.第一折:「那重瞳有千般英勇,怎出的這十面埋伏?」樂曲名。約十六世紀以前已在民間流傳,為琵琶的演奏名曲。樂譜最早見於華秋蘋編的琵琶譜上。全曲屬多段體結構,描寫楚漢垓下決戰,韓信在九里山用十面埋伏的陣法擊敗楚軍,項羽於烏江自刎的故事。

Listen to 十面埋伏 -> http://www.meihuazhuang.cn/music/shimianmf.mp3

If you are interested in Xiang Yu, take a look at 項羽本紀 ->

http://www.fed.cuhk.edu.hk/jsncs/extra/extra2a.htm

• 5 weeks later...

Shi mian mai fu comes from the history of Han dynasty. Between Qin and Han dynasty, there was a period called Conflict Between Chu and Han. (I'm no historian. It might has a term in history book.) The king of Chu was Xiang Yu. I respect him very very much. He was a truly tragic hero. Liu Bang, the king of Han, was a punk in my eyes. (I have to admit he did build a very strong dynasty later that I'm proud of.) Anyway, Liu Bang prevailed. In the last battle, they set up a number of strategies to catch Xiang Yu. One was Shi Mian Bai Fu, meaning ten ambushing armies.

I'd not repeat the whole story here, because it's rather long.

I don't think there's any particular reason that the director chose the name for his movie. He might just liked to have a delegate title. His next movie is called Qian Li Zou Dan Qi (a lonely warrior riding thousands miles). Again, the name comes from the history of Three Kindoms but does nothing with his story.

If you like Chinese history, I'd recommend you start with the Three Kindoms. It's extremly compelling and entertaining. The history amazed Japaness so much that they make many video games about the history, which you can find in the market.

Thank you for the translation.

Yes, I am interested in Chinese history.

I have only seen the first two episodes of the Romance of the Three Kingdom (1995?). I have not got the time to watch it all yet.

I have played the video game by KOEI or something. But never got to finish it as it was too complex for my age back then. But now, I have lost most of my interest in video game and sold my PlayStation away. Perhaps if they make a very good version of it for PC, I will try it again.

Saw the movie this weekend and really enjoyed it. Pleasantly surpised how I was actually able to pick out a fair amount of vocab (I'm just starting out). Pretty good for learners, I thought.

Is this because the actors in these wide release mainland movies speak in particuarly clear voices in order to facilitate understanding in the broadest possible audience -- even those people for whom putonghua is very much their second language? I don't have enough skill to detect the difference, but this one seemed easier to follow than some other recent Chinese movies.

There was a movie about 楚漢相爭 a while back called 西楚霸王. Ray Liu was Xiang Yu and Gong Li portrayed the future Empress Lu. Forgot who played Liu Bang.

But yeah, Liu Bang was portrayed as a punk in the movie, a smart punk though. Ray Liu did an excellent job portraying Xiang Yu in an honorable light. However Liu Bang had political vision. Xiang Yu did not.

If Xiang Yu had listened to Fan Zheng and gotten rid of Liu Bang in 鸿门宴, he would have changed the course of history and the great dynasty Liu Bang created wouldn't exist in the history books today.