Chinese-Forums

Pinyin Syllables and Apostrophes: Zie or Zi'e

cola

I don't know. But I suspect that the same rule might apply as in other Pinyin transliterations where the results of eliding the transliterations of two separate hanzi could lead to ambiguity : one inserts an apostrophe, as in Xi'an. So, for "Zhang Zi E", I would be inclined to write "Zhang Zi'e", not "Zhang Zie". The apostrophe makes the two syllables (of "Zi'e") explicit, whereas "Zie" with no apostrophe would have one syllable.

Philip Taylor

• Like 1

When the next syllable begins with "a", "e", or "o" an apostrophe is used, unless preceded by something that isn't a letter. Therefore it is used even if there is no ambiguity, such as in "zie".

• Like 3

Does this mean I can't put an apostrophe in Angang if it's An+Gang? Because it really really looks like it needs one, and having to think 'maybe that's ang+ang, oh no it can't be as there's no apostrophe' seems a bit round the houses.

• 2 weeks later...

Hofmann is correct. The rule, as I put it elsewhere, is "Put an apostrophe before any syllable that begins with a, e, or o, unless that syllable comes at the beginning of a word or immediately follows a hyphen or other dash." So it's definitely "Zhang Zi'e", not "Zhang Zie". One doesn't need to wonder whether something is ambiguous or not when Pinyin is written correctly.

In Pinyin, apostrophes don't ever come between n and g. I think that the tendency for some to do a double take on things like "Angang" is just a matter of not having a lot of practice reading extended texts in correctly written Pinyin. (Alas, there are so many examples of poorly written Pinyin that they make things harder for everyone.) If there were more Pinyin out there and it were written correctly, I think most people's troubles with it (real or imagined) would quickly fall away.

As for whether to write "Zhang Zi Yi" or "Zhang Ziyi", however common is might be for some people to break up given names "Zhang Zi Yi" is simply wrong. "Zhang Ziyi" is correct. (See section 2.3.)

The rules aren't different for Westerners than they are for Chinese. The rules of Pinyin are the same for everyone. It's a great shame that more people -- esp. Chinese -- aren't taught them.

• Like 1

But don't you WANT to put one there?
Not really, I kinda automatically read things like that right. Now if I could get fully used to putting the apostrophe in Tian'anmen...