Chinese-Forums

how late can one apply to Tsinghua?

bunny87

Hi all,

Tsinghua already has everything of the application of mine- name, documents, transcripts, etc. problem is, that was from an application from last year. not that anything has changed. except now i would like to go study at Tsinghua but the office seems to be closed until sometime in August.

sucks, because before i had the time but not the money. Now I have the funds, but lack the (application) time. I've read that it's possible to show up on a tourist visa and use whatever materials to transform it into a student visa. I'm okay with that. But obviously, I lack 2011 admission documents. Is there any hope for me to start in September?

Have you ever seen a similar situation? If so, how did it go?

If you have any advice, please let me know. Thanks!

If you know of anyone willing to knock down the office door and get me registered and a dorm, I'd be so happy I would totally pay for your time.

Thanks!!

p.s. if this is violating any kind of forum rule, let me know and i'll edit/delete. sorry!

I think it would be okay. I know one Korean kid showed up literally in the middle of the semester while I was studying there. However, it is just so intimidating to buy that one way plane ticket and not know whether you'll actually get in. I don't mind fending for myself as far as getting the hotel, food, taxi, etc. I just would *really* like to have my single dorm in the higher floors and have class to attend.

I saw that Tsinghua has different registration days depending on who you are. QH calendar

I wasn't sure if I should show up on the 17th and give myself time to be yelled at about my incorrect visa/super late application or just show up around the 31st of August, just in time to be in line with other foreigners.

when are you arriving to Beihang?

(and thank you for making me feel better about this situation, Keown!)

yeah... i'll happily take a dorm on the 9th floor of the international dorm even if the elevator isn't working. i just need a single. i'll get a good work out every day just getting out of the apartment, and i'd top it off with a bike ride to class. woo.

now when you say registration, is that the 17th of August you refer to when students physically go to QH and sign up? Or the 1st-5th of August, when that mystery website shows up for (international?) students to get their dorms reserved online?

I've seen that students who wanna take mandarin classes register 5-7 Sept, no? dorm booking is a different thing, if there is an online system to book them, if I were you I wouldn't have much hope to get a single, or even double room on campus...

Aug 17 'Chinese students' refer to undergrad students who are of Chinese nationality...

would it be wrong to use my old student number to try and get a dorm?

other than that, my plan B is Wuhan University, where I did apply in time. but it's a co-op thing. I think i need to teach 12 hours, the rest of my day i can study. and i haven't received an admission notice there either.

• 2 weeks later...

i guess i'm just updating this for any future student unfortunate enough to be in my boat.

1. you can not use an old student number to try and get a dorm on that website that shows up for only 4 or 5 days before fall. probably seems obvious, but it was worth a try.

2. i called Tsinghua tonight/their morning on a number for someone that is "on-duty", even though FSAO is away on vacation. i asked the lady if it's okay to apply late and am really happy. i wasn't shot down because it's late!! she simply said to try calling when the FSAO office is open again and ask if there is any space. woo hoo! now i wait 10 more days to call back and see if i'm truly lucky. (i was fearing that worst-case scenario of some "the deadline has passed, you're SOL" response)