Chinese-Forums

Demise of CCTV9

Guest jinshan

CCTV9 disappeared from the airwaves here in Chengdu about a fortnight ago, and nobody's quite sure why. I can't say I miss it, because I never really watched it anyway (there's only so much Happy Minorities singing, dancing and praising the central leadership of the Chinese Communist Party that I can bear), but some of my laowai friends are beside themselves...

Jinshan

Rest assured it is still on the air in Beijing - I'll start recording it on to VCD and courier it down to you daily. Latest news is the the Li, Gan, Flu, Snick and Hut-hut minorities are all happy.

What amuses is me is that even the tiniest of minorities always seems to be able to support a song and dance troupe of 30.

Does your TV come through cable? I've had channels randomly disappear like this, and once lost Phoenix TV from HK - no more X-files in English . . . Of course, once you've got the DVD player . . .

Roddy

The real bugger happens at 19:00 when all of the interesting provincial channels switch to the national newscast. No more Tibetan dubbed Popeye on Qinghai network, no more amateur game shows on Hunan network, no more travel documentaries on Hainan network;... somehow that's usually when Phoenix and Star Sports also "randomly" disappear.

I do (did) get it through cable, but friends with 'ordinary' RF reception have also had the same problem. I use the term 'problem' loosely here, because it's hardly in the same league as, say, running out of washing-up liquid.

I'm not what you'd describe as an avid TV watcher anyway - before coming to China I lived for two years without owning one - so the occasional VCD rental does me fine.

Jinshan

It's back!

All by itself it came back, just like that. Well, in my part of the city anyway, I didn't immediately 'phone all my friends to check, or anything...

After the (relative) excitement of its disappearance, I can go back to not watching it now.

Jinshan