Chinese-Forums

Black teenage boy becomes new star in Chinese opera

character

Black teenage boy becomes new star in Chinese opera

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/culture/2011-07/28/c_131015033.htm

BEIJING, July 28 (Xinhuanet) -- A black teenage boy, named Tyler Thompson, can not only sing Chinese opera very well, but also perform the ancient Chinese art form wonderfully, according to AP’s report.

The 15-year-old Tyler is a top student in Chew's Oakland-based Purple Silk Music Education program, which teaches students who are mostly from low-income immigrant families to sing and play traditional Chinese music. [...]

---

Also: http://www.wral.com/entertainment/story/9913538/

"It's very authentic because he hits the tones just right, so you understand everything," Lei said. "People just don't expect an Afro-American kid to be doing it. It's the initial shock. There's a sense of novelty."

Tyler, who comes from a music-loving family, began learning how to sing in Chinese a decade ago when he was a kindergartner in Chew's music class at Oakland's Lincoln Elementary School, where about 90 percent of students are Asian.

But that is not Chinese opera. It is the theme song of the Taiwanese TV show 包青天
Yes, but it's the only YT video of him performing that I could find.

I thought it was interesting that he could get the tones down so well just learning to sing (and he doesn't have much command of spoken Chinese). Maybe I should try some kid's songs and see if it helps my sad, sad tones.

I'm not sure what sort of career he could have; I guess we'll see if he makes it over to China. I hope he doesn't get stuck just performing Justice Bao.