Chinese-Forums

Beijing Airport to BLCU / Tsinghua / Beida

roddy

Ok, it's that time of year when new starts at BLCU or elsewhere start to fret about how they're going to find their way from Beijing Airport to wherever they're going. Fortunately, we're here to help.

First off, Beijing Airport is large, modern and easy to get around. You are not landing in Moscow or Mogadishu. Follow the signs, get your passport stamped, grab your luggage, walk through customs (they never stop anyone). Visit an ATM or change some money if you need to. This is the easy part. By all means sit down and have a rest before tackling the next part. Don't buy a SIM card or calling cards at the airport unless you really need to, they won't be cheap.

For the purposes of getting to Wudaokou where most of the universities are, the airport train isn't a lot of use - you're looking at the express train and then a couple of changes on the subway. Not recommended with luggage.

Simplest is of course a taxi. Follow the signs to the taxi rank. Do not pay any attention to anyone who comes up and asks you if you want a taxi - these are unlikely to be legitimate cab drivers. They won't kidnap and kill you, but they are not likely to give you a fair price. Once you're at the front of the taxi queue (which can be long, but tends to move quickly) there will be a taxi marshal guy. If you're at all unsure about explaining where you are going have him help - he won't speak great English, but he should be able to assist you explain a destination to a driver.

Ideally you want to have your destination written down in Chinese. There's little chance of a taxi driver not knowing the location of a university, but you may want to be specific about the gate you want - some of the campuses are very big and you might be able to save yourself a trek with your luggage if you get dropped off as near to the dorms as possible. Tsinghua dorms are by the north-east gate - 东北们.

Cost will depend on how far you're going, luggage, and if it's a night-time ride. Ballpark figure I guess is 100Y? There's a 10Y expressway toll which the driver will pay for you and add to the total fare.

Beijing taxi drivers are on the whole friendly, honest and quite likely to spit loudly out the window. The ones at the airport aren't the friendliest, I suspect because they've generally spent ages queuing for a fare, but sit up front and try to practice your Chinese or use some very simple English and you should have fun.

Cheaper is the airport bus. Again follow the signs - make sure you are going for the shuttle bus to downtown, not the free one that goes between terminals. There are a bewildering number of bus lines - you want Line 5, Zhongguancun. Tickets are 16Y and there are a few booths near where the buses leave from that sell them.

For BLCU you should be getting off at 北航北门 - the north gate of Beihang University, for Beida and Tsinghua either the same stop, or the next one, which is the terminus - not sure, can anyone confirm?

Once you're off the bus, it's either a quick taxi ride or, depending on where you got off and where you are going, a walk with your luggage. Ask any studenty looking person for help if you need it - if you slow down and simplify your English they'll understand you fine, and likely be keen to help.

• Like 1

Brandon-Learn Chinese

I normally take the subway. Its 27 rmb total and usually gets you there faster. Take the airport express to Sanyuanqiao 三元桥, transfer to Line 10 and go towards (Bagou) 巴沟, You want to stop at Zhichunlu and transfer to line 13, then one stop to wudaokou 五道口。 From there to Tsinghua Dorms, just say Tsinghua Sushe-- not sushi!) However, its a cool 85-100 rmb from the airport and it will save you the hassle.

You will sometimes be stopped at customs if you are carrying a crate type of suitcase. They may scan it and ask you to open it so have the key handy for the lock. I always use an TCA lock but customs still managed to break one.

With regards to taxis if you are carrying three big suitcases standard taxis may not take you and you might have to take a private shuttle size. It will costs a lot more eg 70 yuan for standard ride and 450 yuan for a large one.

When you are in the arrival hall, sniffer dogs may be around so dont take any fruit and food. You will certainly be asked to discard it but also they may take your details. Same thing when you leave the country, if you forgot about a bottle of liquid in your bag, you may find they record this event and photograph your boarding pass. Best not to raise suspicion.

If you dont speak (much) Chinese the taxi driver may take the long route. It happened to someone I know.And it was a long trip which is unnecessary when you arrive with jeglag (it is less about the money). Some taxi drivers also pretend they know where you are going. Best to have the mobile number of someone you know whom they can call should he get lost.

If you dont speak (much) Chinese the taxi driver may take the long route. It happened to someone I know.And it was a long trip which is unnecessary when you arrive with jeglag (it is less about the money). Some taxi drivers also pretend they know where you are going. Best to have the mobile number of someone you know whom they can call should he get lost.

I've read on the University's website that a pick up can be arranged for a certain service fee. Would that save me from the taxi driver taking the longest route possible?

Would it be a fixed price then? If so, if the taxi driver goes the long way, you can then consider it free tour of Beijing rather than being cheated. [i don't know the details of that University, but [b]in general[/b] for a pre-arranged pick-up the driver meets you right outside arrivals with your name on a sign, helps you find an ATM (if needed), helps you with your luggage, and they have a car waiting in the parking garage so no need for a taxi queue. I don't know how much they charge or what your budget is, but a pre-arranged pick-up can change a jet-lagged nerve-racking event into a worry-less experience. Of course, half the point of study abroad is to experience nerve-racking events and survive them.:o They make great stories 20 years later.]

• Like 4