Chinese-Forums

current class sizes and methods in Beijing schools

alwayslol

I am quite concerned at reading a recent post about BCLU, as the writer reported class sizes had now increased to about 24 students. As an English teacher myself, I know that for language teaching, this simply won't do. Languages cannot be taught like other subjects-it requires lots of interaction and use of the language, and not just lectures, etc. about it. Can any others currently studying at BCLU report on your class size?

I'm currently living in Taiwan, and I would like to come this summer to somewhere in the mainland to study (not necessarily Beijing). I've simply found that the Chinese programs in Taiwan lack any application of basic second language application knowledge, and tend to rely on memorization of one vocabulary list and dialogue after another mixed with listen and repeat, listen and repeat.

Perhaps if BCLU is getting greedy, and therefore lowering the quality of their programs, someone can suggest a better quality program for a small group, short-term (8 week) beginner course?

Thanks anyone and everyone for any helpful input.

Alwayslol,

Your post raises concerns of mind about studying at a Chinese University. Large classes and traditional blackboard teaching methods are the least effective in teaching a foreign language. Although, I do understand that University certificates are viewed favorably and are good for the resume.

I just completed a short course with a private school in Beijing and I will get that post/review up shortly. Prior to enrolling I threw out a question in this forum about private schools - didn't get alot of feedback. i think someone said check ot the expat papers in Beijing. Hard to do when you are pressed for time. I do notice some posts with more detail on private schools have started appearing since November.

One private school that I like is Berlitz. Never used them for Mandarin, but did use them for Thai. Total immersion, as soon as you walk in the room the teacher just starts talking to you in the language you are learning. Some people find it frustrating. I found it effective with Thai. The only reason I didn't do Berlitz with Mandarin was because it was a bit pricey. Good Luck!

WareTC,

Thanks for your reply. I'm having an extremely difficult time getting much info to make a decision about where to study this summer. The quality of the Websites (if there is one) of the universities and schools tends to be apalling or completely illegible, and there are only bits and pieces of first-hand accounts I can find on forums like this one.

I sure don't want to waste my time and money. How do I evaluate the possibilities? No idea.