Chinese-Forums

Removing banners from websites

xianhua

So the issue I'm experiencing is more of an IT issue than anything else, but it is occuring on Chinese websites and I've only ever experienced it on Chinese websites, so please grant forgiveness for this post.

Please take a look at the attached screen print taken from a Chinese website. The issue is quite simple: how do I remove the 'Online Service' banner on the left-hand side which prevents me from seeing the address (which I need to read)? There doesn't appear to be a cross to close it in any of the corners. I use Firefox as my browser.

post-31773-010504000 1312381719_thumb.jpg

公司名称:北京威久咨询有限公司

公司简称:威久留学

电话: 010-68946699(总机)

传真: 010-62648687

地址:北京市海淀区中关村大街32号和盛嘉业大厦11/12A

邮编:100086

E-mail: info@wiseway.com.cn

上班时间:周一至周日9:00-18:00

Wow, that is annoying. What poor design!

I couldn't see an easy way. Using ad-block you can keep blocking pieces of it, but that's not a good solution.

If any one else wants to try, the URL is http://www.wiseway.com.cn/html/tebietuijian/yingguo/0922010175102HDB8CFDE0KKI48E20H.html

As an alternative to turning off JavaScript, you can reduce the

width of the text block by using Ctrl-minus. A single "zoom out"

is sufficient to disclose the whole of the text block.

** Phil.

• Like 1

Can't work out what the "var x =" contributes; is the following not sufficient ?

javascript: document.getElementById('floatDiv').hidden=true; void 0

** Phil.

Can't work out what the "var x =" contributes; is the following not sufficient ?

"var x =" contributes as a historical reference as an indicator to me having just woken up and written it in under a minute.

Yup, that would be quite sufficient. The most important thing to remember is I wrote it in under a minute and was going to do it in multiple steps originally and I'd only just woke up. Working was enough for me. I didn't even take a second look once I saw it worked. ^^

Hopefully the extra reference didn't burn up too much ram for anyone. ^^

Edit:

I usually do much more complex scripts where I like to keep my references to the DOM objects since I often use them many times over.