Chinese-Forums

Michael Learns To Rock (China)

chengdude

OK, after an entire summer of S.H.E.'s "Superstar," the latest assault on my musical sensibilities, if not sanity, is "Take Me To Your Heart" by the aforementioned Michael Learns To Rock...now playing (apparently in repeat mode) at every CD shop, cheap shoe stall, and just today, a pharmacy where I live.

The song is, to my understanding, a reworking of a Cantopop staple by Jacky Cheung (?). To me it's just another unctuous ballad slathered with extra cheesy lyrics, but the real issue is: Is this the first Chinese pop song that has been "covered" by an ostensibly (I had never heard of MLTR before coming to China) Western band? Given that, at least from my Ameri-centric vantage point, the Michael boys enjoy a near-zero recognition factor in the States, it would seem they know on which side of the world their bread is buttered.

So, what other Chinese pop ditties would you like to hear covered by Western acts? I think the pop/R&B trio Destiny's Child would be a prime candidate for "Superstar" ...not that I'm hoping it happens anytime soon.

MLTR are from Denmark, and as a Danish guy confirmed to me, they're big nowhere in the west, only in the east. Quite interesting I think.

What should be covered: the bad music is best not repeated, and the good music is too good to be covered. Only way it would be nice would be if a good band/singer would cover some bad song in a good way, like Travis did with Britney Spears' Hit me one more time.

MLTR is really horrible imo, but yet so many people in China like them, quite popular in HK and TW too, if they do listen to western stuff, many would listen to bands like MLTR or the boy/girl bands

why? because the things these bands do are much closer to Mando/Canto pops, but not all mando/pop are this bad though

• 2 weeks later...

Gato: it's GOOD. Am not sure what it sounds like now but there is some really good music that has come from the Beijing rock scene earlier. Cui Jian, Tang Chao, Baojiajie 43 hao, etc etc.